Deutsch ist die Saar [Marsch]

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
NSPianist

Deutsch ist die Saar [Marsch]

Post by NSPianist » 08 Feb 2020 07:08

Hello again!

I've returned hopeful that someone can identify a song, given the intro march to it. I don't remember where I heard it from, but I do know it was from a 3rd Reich propaganda film. It's been stuck in my head for the past week.

I've made a snippet of what I can remember here below, once again using Online Sequencer. https://onlinesequencer.net/1354335

Thanks for the help!!

[Topic entitled "Help identifying new song?" renamed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Help identifying new song?

Post by Ivan Ž. » 08 Feb 2020 10:12

Hello,

"Deutsch ist die Saar", march by Bernhard Kutsch, over the song of the same name.

It can be heard around the 11th/12th minute of "Triumph des Willens" viewtopic.php?f=81&t=212742#p687897

(Good ear, by the way ;))

Cheers,
Ivan

NSPianist

Post by NSPianist » 08 Feb 2020 20:33

Triumph des Willens! YES! That's the one!

Interesting to know it's called 'Deutsch ist die Saar' as it sounds way different. But now that I see it in the list there I didn't realise the music that followed the march bit was a different song. Thanks Ivan!

(Thanks, good ear for you as well recognising the song!!!)

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 08 Feb 2020 21:02

Most often when composers composed a march for an existing song, they named the march after the song (Marsch über das gleichnamige Lied).

Note that they included only a part of Kutsch's "Deutsch ist die Saar" march in "Triumph des Willens". Some more of Kutsch's music is missing, as well as the trio (which is, of course, "Deutsch ist die Saar", the song, set to the melody of "Glück auf, der Steiger kommt").

Cheers,
Ivan

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 09 Feb 2020 01:00

Isn't it the same tune as in Steigerlied (Glück auf, Glück auf) ?
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 09 Feb 2020 01:05

Hello, Greg

Please read my previous post :)

Cheers,
Ivan

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 09 Feb 2020 01:15

Thanks Ivan, time for a new glasses !
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

NSPianist

Post by NSPianist » 20 Feb 2020 05:26

Ivan Ž. wrote:
08 Feb 2020 21:02
Most often when composers composed a march for an existing song, they named the march after the song (Marsch über das gleichnamige Lied).

Note that they included only a part of Kutsch's "Deutsch ist die Saar" march in "Triumph des Willens". Some more of Kutsch's music is missing, as well as the trio (which is, of course, "Deutsch ist die Saar", the song, set to the melody of "Glück auf, der Steiger kommt").

Cheers,
Ivan
Thanks for the info! That makes sense. I guess I need to do a bit of digging then, I'd like to hear the missing bits! :milsmile:

Return to “Music of the Reich”