Real M40 helmet?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
IGuessICollectNow

Real M40 helmet?

Post by IGuessICollectNow » 01 Mar 2021 21:24

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here, so hopefully I do everytgibg correctly. My question is on a one of those Finnish M40/55 helmets IMA has been selling. I finally purchased one back in January and recieved it recently. When the helmet arrived it was dinged up and some of the grey paint had chipped off. Underneath the grey paint was a green paint that looked remarkably like German apple or pea green(?). After about three hours of using green scrubs and q-tips I removed about 98% of the outside Finnish grey, which came off easily. Under the grey was a very thick coat of brown paint that was extremely tough and thick, I suspect that the brown may have been a primer they quickly applied over the original german color so that it wouldn't turn up if the grey got chipped. The green under the brown and grey layers looks very German, but I am no expert. Another piece of evidence lies on the inside of the shell (which I did not clean because of the following) where on the rear back there is heavy grinding. Next to the grinding marks (maybe caused by a grinding wheel or sander as the Germans/Finns 'sanitized' the shell) are a few markings, there is a very faint 'S' and some numbers that look like a 68 or 66. Hopefully you can help me tell if it was an original or not. I will provide more pictures when I have time.
Diagram of the inside (it doesnt show up well on my camera):

S
# #### 66
---------------------------
The dashed line is the bottom of the helmet the #s are scratches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.
Host - For sale section

Re: Real M40 helmet?

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 02 Mar 2021 22:32

TYpical steel shell,leaver as is, not worth the cost of replacing parts,IF you wan ta real German WW2 era lid they are all over..I think tyhe rust coloring is some sort of pre base primer paint

IGuessICollectNow

Post by IGuessICollectNow » 02 Mar 2021 23:44

Hey Mark,
So you don't think it's an original? I think it is kinda strange to have a primer painted over the green if it's a Finnish. I'll try to get a picture of the stampings somehow, maybe I'll check it with a usb microscope. Also, where do you recommend looking for helmets? My local antique store had one, but they wanted $600.
Best regards!

IGuessICollectNow

Post by IGuessICollectNow » 03 Mar 2021 01:30

Like I said, my phone doesn't have a good camera, but you can see something suspicious going on in that area. I see a few letters and numbers, but I'm not sure on what they are. Maybe I'll try again with a usb microscope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”