Some RADwJ items

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Vikki
Forum Staff

Re: Some RADwJ items

Post by Vikki » 06 Jul 2008 19:50

Dienstauszeichnungen (Service Awards) of the RADwJ in bronze (4 years' service), silver (12 years), and gold (25 years). I'd posted the 12 and 25 year medals a while ago in this thread, but since I just located a bronze example :D , I thought I'd post all three together.

Best,
~Vikki
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bds bill

Post by bds bill » 26 Jul 2008 13:31

Hello All,

Most interesting thread. Vikki, its been quite some time. Good to see you still out here. I did finally make it to Barbados and have been so busy that I haven't had the time to keep up with the forums. Anyway, thought you all would like to see a very rare and early (1934) Ausweis for the DFA (Deutscher Frauen-Arbeitsdienst) that I acquired some years ago from Emilie Stewart. Here it is, both face and reverse.

Best,
BIll Bradley
formerly in Virginia, now resident in Barbados
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 26 Jul 2008 17:28

Hello BIll, it's great to see you back and sharing your collection with us again!

Great Ausweis! And you're right, it must be a very early and rare type, since the organization must have changed its name and insignium to those of the Frauenarbeitsdienst very soon after issuance of your Ausweis. The woman in the example below also joined in 1934, and the ID shows the new FAD logo.

Best,
~Vikki

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 26 Jul 2008 18:12

And, your Ausweis explains the appearance of the flag in this period woodcut--though it's from 1936, when the organization would have already changed its logo to that on the flag in the second photo. In the same year (1936) the organization would become the RADwJ and its insignia would take on the form shown in the third photo.

Best,
~Vikki

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 11 Oct 2008 20:53

Something new for this thread: Early RADwJ Bezirk official's pennant. Actual size is 20 cm high by 30 cm wide.

See sketches and text below from Angolia and Littlejohn's Labor Organizations of the Reich (pp. 474-5).

cartoss

Post by cartoss » 18 Nov 2008 10:13

Thanks to all who posted on this thread. It has saved me much time and effort in research. I/we intend to turn out a living history display next year based around this organisation. Fo those who dot know me we already work as British WLA with civilia farm workers plus a heavy horse or 2 and on occasion a cow.

Thanks again Regards Jamie

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 19 Nov 2008 09:06

Best of luck on that, Jamie! I'd love to see how you use the Cold Bloods (Draft Horses)--and the cow! Below is a photo for you along those lines.

Best,
~Vikki

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 07 Dec 2008 04:41

A couple more, Jamie, that might interest you. From Frauen helfen siegen: Bilddokumente vom Kriegseinsatz unserer Frauen und Mütter (Berlin: Zeitgeschichte-Verlag, 1941).

Best,
~Vikki

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 14 Sep 2009 12:57

Hello,

I suspect the young ladies in the following photo belong to the Frauenarbeitsdienst and it's the insignium used by that precursor of the RADwJ that you see on their upper coat sleeves. Can someone confirm that such a patch existed?

Source:
http://www.ebay.de
auction no. 220476899617
vendor: nala_78
date: 13. Sep. 2009 13:05:57 CEST

Best regards
Torsten

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 15 Sep 2009 06:44

Heimatschuss wrote:Hello,

I suspect the young ladies in the following photo belong to the Frauenarbeitsdienst and it's the insignium used by that precursor of the RADwJ that you see on their upper coat sleeves. Can someone confirm that such a patch existed?
Torsten,

Some shots from a FAD photo album in my collection, which belonged to a woman who did her FAD service from 11.35 to 5.36 at the Lager in Büdesheim/Eifel. Some of the photos are very small and don't scan well, but I hope you can see the patches. The patch is a red diamond with the same insignium as on the FAD flag or brooch in black on white in the center.

Best,
~Vikki

Photos of the patch in wear on the FAD tunic:

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 15 Sep 2009 06:48

Perhaps easier to see, the FAD patch on the blouse:

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 15 Sep 2009 07:35

Hello Vikki!

Many thanks! I knew I could count on you in this matter. :)
So the patch was really diamond shaped as I suspected but that wasn't that obvious from the photo I posted.

Best regards
Torsten

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 15 Sep 2009 12:09

You're very welcome, Torsten! Turnabout's fair play, after all the questions you've answered for me, and all the excellent information you've provided in the Women's section in general. :)

Best,
~Vikki

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 15 Sep 2009 19:37

Hello again,

sifting through Reichsarbeitsdienst photos at http://www.sz-photo.de/suddeutsche-zeit ... rvice-neu/
I happened to find this pic that provides another fairly good look on the FAD patch.
FAD patch.jpg
Not sure if their date is correct.

Best regards
Torsten

Gerard Kenny

Post by Gerard Kenny » 14 Dec 2009 03:39

I picked up 2 FAD albums recently and this is a whole new area for me and one I know very little about. I wish I had found this thread a while back actually. I have put the full albums online here if anyone is interested;

http://www.militaria-archive.com/fad-a/index.html
&
http://www.militaria-archive.com/fad-b/index.html

Album Logo

Banner

Flag Detail

Uniform shots

When I read F.A.D throughout the albums I took that to mean Freiwillige Arbeitsdeinst and that the Frauenarbeistdeinst were the female section of the Freiwillige - can anyone confirm this is correct ?

I know Freiwillige Arbeistdeinst were created by Bruning in 1931 and the RAD (& RADwJ) superceded them later on but otherwise this area is a bit hazy for me. I definitely need to get 'Angolia's Labor Organizations of the Reich' & also the 'Dienststellenverzeichnis des Reichsarbeitsdienstes der weiblichen Jugend' when it is published.

Return to “Women in the Reich”