Some RADwJ items

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
ancasta

Some RADwJ items

Post by ancasta » 11 Nov 2006 01:46

As some of you have started to share I thought I'd better start too :D

My main collecting area is centred around the female Reichsarbeitsdienst which is where I have most of the items, but I also collect when I can in other areas such as Marine, Luftwaffe and Nachtrichten Helferin amongst others.

I'll start off with my brooch collection. If you have any RADwJ items please feel free to post them on this thread 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 11 Nov 2006 01:55

And the last two:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 13 Nov 2006 19:48

Hello Ancasta,

the female branch of the Reichsarbeitsdienst is a good subject. I'll throw in some postcards. Hans Retzlaff was a photographer who worked a lot in this field. What a pity that the allies ordered the destruction of his book 'Arbeitsmaiden am Werk' (Service Maids at Work) after the war.

Sources:
http://www.auction-service.com/auktions ... 807070.jpg
http://www.auction-service.com/auktions ... 808643.jpg
http://www.auction-service.com/auktions ... 811073.jpg

Best regards
Torsten

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 13 Nov 2006 19:59

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 13 Nov 2006 20:02

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 13 Nov 2006 20:03

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 13 Nov 2006 20:15

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 13 Nov 2006 20:22

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 13 Nov 2006 20:26

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 13 Nov 2006 20:28

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 13 Nov 2006 20:35

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 15 Nov 2006 03:51

Nice selection of postcards showing the distinctive RADwJ workdress of blue linen/cotton pullover top, blue linen/cotton skirt, red cotton headscarf and apron. Of course this was topped off with the rank brooch. Later blue uniforms became all in one dresses to save on fabric. Thanks Torsten :D

Heimatschuss wrote:Hans Retzlaff was a photographer who worked a lot in this field. What a pity that the allies ordered the destruction of his book 'Arbeitsmaiden am Werk' (Service Maids at Work)
Like this example?
http://www.od43.com/Arbeitsmaiden.html
Lovely photos throughout. I have a modern version with interesting additions. I have to get round to translating it :lol:

For those of you who don't know, the blue working uniform was worn when the ladies were out 'in the field'. The RADwJ at first performed the same tasks as the British Woman's Land Army, but later added extra tasks including various war work, helping out Kinderreich families and so on. Later on still they were drafted to the Luftwaffe as Flakhelferin and other branches. Quite an interesting branch of service when one looks into it.

And don't forget guys, those of you who reenact a soldat should perhaps mention your time with the male RAD, compulsory after 1936 for all males over 18 for 6 months of service (it was later lengthened) before joining the armed forces. Perhaps you were one of the men who built the Autobahn, or helped with the construction of various famous Reich buildings? This service was compulsory for unmarried women over the age of 18, but wasn't enforced so much till later.

Michael Jonas

Post by Michael Jonas » 16 Nov 2006 19:35

Hi together, I'm very happy to see this thread.

In 2007 I will finish my book "Dienststellenverzeichnis des Reichsarbeitsdienstes der weiblichen Jugend" RADwJ.
You can search every women camp from 1933 to 1945, together with informations about the women labour service in europe.
Together 500-600 pages. Biblio-Verlag.

I'm a collector since 20 years.
What do you want to see??
What shall I scan? I think, I have it all.
There are 10.000 pictures about the RADwJ in my collection, all books, every form of an identity card a.s.o.

Do you see the price of the Retzlaff book? Oh god, its total unreal.

Greetings Michael

Here are a little bit unknown, the RADwJ Sonderführerin

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 16 Nov 2006 21:52

Hi Micheal

I am PM'ng you regarding your collection. I'm absolutely thrilled to see a fellow enthusiast 8O :lol:

That's the first time I have seen a Sonderfuhrerin brooch other than in illustrations - are you lucky enough to own or have photos of the other two ranks that went with it?

There's many things I would love to see, so where could I start? Torsten has posted those colour photos of the summer arbeitskleid, do you have any actual ones in your collection as I have only seen them in photos?

Michael Jonas

Post by Michael Jonas » 16 Nov 2006 22:53

Hi

I have not other colour pictures of the blue working wear, no other than many other propaganda cards.
This wear was a primitiv blue linen, very sheep linen.
My grandma and my grandpa wear this linen as normal working wear close to his death 1982, with all the other farmers in Germany. After 15 washings it was light blue, after 30 washings it was grey.

One of the best things in my collection is a original "Schute", the summer working bast hat.
I think, this is the last real example in the world.

Here are some pictures:

Michael

Return to “Women in the Reich”