German invasion of Sweden?

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Erik E
Financial supporter

German invasion of Sweden?

Post by Erik E » 17 Mar 2002 22:14

Were there ever made plans for an invasion?
I have heard several stories of various units which should participate. This is as I said stories, so I was wondering if anyone has some sources???

Regards
Erik E

HaEn
In memoriam

sweden

Post by HaEn » 17 Mar 2002 22:56

I don't think the Germans wanted to invade Sweden. They needed the business channels too much, as for example buying U.S. made ball bearings, Zimmer Bofors (some made in the U.S.A.) anti air craft guns. Which by the way also were used and bought by the russians. Just a thought. HN. :roll: :idea:

Johan Elisson

Post by Johan Elisson » 17 Mar 2002 23:07

And, the most likely reason (in my opinion), if Germany would have invaded Sweden the iron ore mines would have been bombed by the allies and that meant that there would be a lot less sources of iron ore for the Germans to use.

/Johan

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 18 Mar 2002 00:06

Thanks for your answers!

Maybe my question was a bit short. This is supposed to have been planned in late 1943, after Sweden decided to decrease their exports to Germany.
I have found several pages on the web dealing with this subject. The most interesting is here:

As late as 1943, when Hitler ordered General-Lieutenant Bamler to present a plan for an invasion of Sweden, he reported the Kustflottan as the biggest military obstacle for a German invasion.

Is this just "out of the air"???

Erik E

Fred

!

Post by Fred » 18 Mar 2002 00:08

Is it true that the Swedes broke the Enigma code??I saw a program many years ago about a professor(forgot his name :oops: ) that broke the code with pen and paper, later after the war he was given Albert Einstain´s room at Harward or was it Harward I don´t remember :oops: .
If it´s true it could be a reason why Sweden wasn´t invaded.

Fred :?

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 18 Mar 2002 00:28

I know that a group of Swedish men cracked it in Nov. 2000. I have never heard that they did it during the war....

http://answers.codebook.org/press.html

Erik E

Mark Alinsky

Post by Mark Alinsky » 21 Mar 2002 00:27

I thought German troops and supplies were allowed free passage in Sweden until 1943.

Alpha60

Post by Alpha60 » 21 Mar 2002 02:10

Fred:
Arne Carl-August Beurling studied at Uppsala and obtained a doctorate there in 1933. He taught at Uppsala from 1932 to 1952 becoming professor of mathematics there. In 1954 he emigrated to the USA and became a professor at the Institute for Advanced Studies at Princeton

Beurling broke the Geheimschreiber. Read more here: http://mad.home.cern.ch/frode/ulfving/ulfving.html

tonyh

re

Post by tonyh » 21 Mar 2002 12:41

Erik, most countries present pre-liminary invasion or defence plans at some stage, even if there are no intentions to carry out such plans. England had several different plans for invasion of the European mainland well before 1939, it didn't mean that they were intent on carrying them out. In a war, pre-liminary plans become an imperitive. These what-if plans are very important to the overall planning of an army. It means that a ground level plan can be expanded on if the need arises. Germany probably did have an invasion plan for Sweden, in a baby form. But Hitler would have to have been pushed very hard in order to expend yet more troops to carry it out. He was very reluctant to carry out "Wesserubüng", the invasion of Norway, in 1940. It was the similar British plans and subsequent action of those plans that prompted Hitler to put Räeder's plan for occupying Norway into action. Hitler would have prefered Norway and Sweden to be neutral. That way the trade agreement could continue unabashed.

Tony

Fred

!

Post by Fred » 21 Mar 2002 14:02

Thanks "Alpha60" for refreshing my memory.

Fred :D

MadJim

Germans

Post by MadJim » 26 Apr 2002 22:41

The Germans had a plan to invade Sweden. They just didn't want to. Had they invaded Allied bombers wouldn't have had to bomb mines - the Swedes would have been able to render them unuseable themselves.

harry palmer

Post by harry palmer » 14 May 2002 15:54

Apart from selling iron ore to Germany and allowing transit of German troops across Sweden, the Swedes sheltered most of the Jewish population of Scandanavia, allowed the existence of a Free Danish Brigade on their territory, and in July 1944,secretly shipped to the Allies a V2 that had crashed on their territory.

Martin Månsson
Financial supporter

Post by Martin Månsson » 14 May 2002 17:28

Hi,

The most serious plans to invade Sweden didn't came from German side but from England. They had carefully made up plans to attack the iron ore mines in north of Sweden. The saw their chance when the Sovietunion attacked Finland in 1939 and offered help. Neither Norwegian nor Swedish authorities addmitted them to cross the territory to get to Finland. With what we know today it was a good decition. If England had been allowed to cross Norway and Sweden to Finland we would have been partly occupied by England. Then imagine the cenario.......

Best
Martin

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 14 May 2002 17:37

I imagine that if any plans were made they would have had to reconise that a Swedish resistance or partisan warfare would tie up more divisions (Maybe even as many as in the Balkans 20+) which Germany didn't have to spare.

Also on a political level the normal diplomatic relations gave Germany means to voice opinions/idea's etc to the allies, especially as was proved later in the war.

:D Andy from the Shire

harry palmer

Post by harry palmer » 14 May 2002 18:29

Just imagine that scenario! The Soviet Union (and possibly Norway and Sweden) on the same side as Germany! Apparently France was the one that was really pushing for this option, hoping for a large scale diversion of the war from their own territory, but the co-operation of the Norwegian and Swedish governments was the real sticking point. The operation was to comprise 100,000 British and 50,000 French troops with air and naval support, of which only two brigades would actually reach Finland. The force assembled was dispersed after the Finnish ceasefire, and ironically, given the large amount of French Alpine troops involved, would have been very useful for countering the subsequent German invasion of Norway.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”