Allied informants in the Wehrmacht (?)

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Viktor.S

Allied informants in the Wehrmacht (?)

Post by Viktor.S » 29 May 2020 22:13

Hello everyone,

I have read that the Polish resistance in France was able to convince some Polish Wehrmacht soldiers who were stationed with the occupying forces to desert. But what about Poles or other nationalities who stayed in the Wehrmacht, but willingly established links with resistance networks or Allied intelligence to act as informers/inside agents? I can see the benefit of a "man on the inside", but I don't know if it happened in any cases with Wehrmacht personnel.

Thanks.

Halfdan S.

Re: Allied informants in the Wehrmacht (?)

Post by Halfdan S. » 04 Jun 2020 18:12

It apparently happened in the Waffen-SS. Danish SS-Untersturmführer Louis Hjarvard after the war claimed that he had spied for the Allies. I don't know whether this is true, but I believe so as the Danish Attorney General decided that all charges against him be dropped.

Best
Halfdan S.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 06 Jun 2020 05:47

Periscos 'Penetrating the Reich' has a few bits on German PoW who were recruited to join OSS teams reconnoitering in Germany.

driftwood

Post by driftwood » 07 Jun 2020 21:03

Kurt Gerstein was an SS member who tried to inform the Allies of the Holocaust via a Swedish diplomat. It seems though that Sweden never forwarded the info he gave them to the Allies during the war.

https://www.history.com/news/nazi-ss-sp ... l-solution

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”