Destruction of Paris 1944

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Mannheim

Destruction of Paris 1944

Post by Mannheim » 06 Dec 2018 00:32

Can someone please point me to documentation concerning Hitler's order to destroy Paris 1944? Is there any record of the (in)famous "Is Paris burning?" phone call? I have already located Larry Collins' book.

OpanaPointer

Re: Destruction of Paris 1944

Post by OpanaPointer » 06 Dec 2018 00:55

Google "Order to burn Paris". Get your waders on first.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 07 Dec 2018 06:39

Thanks, OpanaPointer. I had spent ages Googling various permutations of 'destruction' and 'Paris' but you're right - I had to wade. I had just read somewhere that the French had rejected von Choltitz' version of how he saved Paris and wondered if Hitler really did order the destruction of his favourite city. I wondered if anyone had a copy of the cable Hitler allegedly sent.

offizier1916

Post by offizier1916 » 22 Jan 2019 21:30

Hitler wanted Paris to become a front-City and therefore replaced General von Boineburg-Lengsfeld with von Choltitz, who had a reputation of being very harsh. As the front was coming closer, Hitler ordered that the heavy 60cm mortar "Karl" should be sent to Paris. If i remember correctly, if not Hitler personally, then it was Jodl who repeatedly asked via Telefon whether the order of the destruction of Paris was already in execution.

Ive never read that France rejected Choltitz Version. Where did you read that?

Loïc

Post by Loïc » 23 Jan 2019 16:40

indeed Hitler has ordered and tried to destroy Paris 3 times and the Von Choltitz version based on his memories refuted by researches on French and German Archives
there was a recent TV documentary to present these investigations
https://www.lemonde.fr/televisions-radi ... 55027.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFrZYeysyJQ

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 23 Jan 2019 19:27

Mannheim wrote:
06 Dec 2018 00:32
Can someone please point me to documentation concerning Hitler's order to destroy Paris 1944? Is there any record of the (in)famous "Is Paris burning?" phone call? I have already located Larry Collins' book.
Hitler never ordered to burn Paris.

offizier1916

Post by offizier1916 » 23 Jan 2019 20:22

Loïc wrote:
23 Jan 2019 16:40
indeed Hitler has ordered and tried to destroy Paris 3 times and the Von Choltitz version based on his memories refuted by researches on French and German Archives
there was a recent TV documentary to present these investigations
https://www.lemonde.fr/televisions-radi ... 55027.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFrZYeysyJQ
Hello Loic,

thanks for your links. My french is not the best, but the "lemonde" article just says that von Choltitz did not have enough time.
So the question for me is: besides the Luftwaffe and the 60cm mortar Carl, how big was the german garrison in Paris? Did they have enough heavy weapons and ammunition to destroy Paris? I dont think so. Furthermore, Paris-Bridges were important for the retreat of german Troops from southern France? So a destruction of Paris would not have been very smart? What ive also read was, that Choltitz was verry upset as he was informed that resistence fighters killed german soldiers and wanted revenge, even more, as the resistence occupied the Präfektur of Paris. The communist resistance wanted a blood bath and searched confrontation, while the "gaullistes" resistence fighters focued more on diplomacy and already knew that in future the communist were the next opponent.

And lets not forget that Choltitz, even as he knew that the war and battle for Paris was over, let defend his Headquarters until the very end, many german soldiers died a senseless death. IMO was very harsh towards his own soliders, an opportunist and very antisemite.
But what about the statements by Konsul Nordling and Bobby Bernder?

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 23 Jan 2019 20:59

Loïc wrote:
23 Jan 2019 16:40
indeed Hitler has ordered and tried to destroy Paris 3 times
Hitler never ordered to burn Paris.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”