Question on Abbreviations for German and Allied Units

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
CV60

Question on Abbreviations for German and Allied Units

Post by CV60 » 01 Oct 2018 20:01

I am working on a game dealing with World War II, and a question has arisen regarding the proper abbreviations used by all the major allied and axis ETO powers (US/UK/France/USSR/Germany/Italy) for designating a unit. For example, in the US Army, "A" company, 1st Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment would be designated as "A/1-15". What we would like to have is the proper abbreviation format for all the major powers, from squad to division, (as well as a reference citation, if possible) In the US Army it looks like this:

Squad: Number
Platoon: Number
Company: Letter
Battalion: Number
Regiment: Number
Division: Number

Can anyone on the list steer me in either an answer to this question for each of the major combatants in WWII, and/or possible ways to research this issue? Any guidance would be appreciated.

askropp
Forum Staff

Re: Question on Abbreviations for German and Allied Units

Post by askropp » 01 Oct 2018 22:03

Germany:

2. Gruppe
2. Zug
2. Kompanie
II. Bataillon
Infanterieregiment 2
2. Infanteriedivision
II. Armeekorps
2. Armee
Heeresgruppe B
Er ist wieder da. Aber auch dieses Mal wird er nicht siegen!

CV60

Post by CV60 » 02 Oct 2018 00:08

askropp wrote:
01 Oct 2018 22:03
Germany:

2. Gruppe
2. Zug
2. Kompanie
II. Bataillon
Infanterieregiment 2
2. Infanteriedivision
II. Armeekorps
2. Armee
Heeresgruppe B
Thank you for the quick reply Am I correct in assuming that Gruppe/Zug/Kompanie as well as division and Army are designated with numbers, Bataillon, and Armeekorps with Roman numerals, and Army Groups with letters?

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 02 Oct 2018 05:05

CV60 wrote:
01 Oct 2018 20:01
I am working on a game dealing with World War II, and a question has arisen regarding the proper abbreviations used by all the major allied and axis ETO powers (US/UK/France/USSR/Germany/Italy) for designating a unit. For example, in the US Army, "A" company, 1st Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment would be designated as "A/1-15". What we would like to have is the proper abbreviation format for all the major powers, from squad to division, (as well as a reference citation, if possible) In the US Army it looks like this:

Squad: Number
Platoon: Number
Company: Letter
Battalion: Number
Regiment: Number
Division: Number
Um, "A/1-15" is modern American Army abbreviation. World War II that would be 'A' Co, 1st Bn, 15th Inf. Or some variation, things weren't quite as regulated then as now. :lol:
"Is all this pretentious pseudo intellectual citing of sources REALLY necessary? It gets in the way of a good, spirited debate, destroys the cadence." POD, 6 October 2018

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 06 Oct 2018 13:06

askropp wrote:
01 Oct 2018 22:03
Germany:

2. Gruppe
2. Zug
2. Kompanie
II. Bataillon
Infanterieregiment 2
2. Infanteriedivision
II. Armeekorps
2. Armee
Heeresgruppe B
I've also seen plenty of examples where roman numerals are used for platoons: II. Zug
Since both Roman and Arabic numerals were used for platoons I do wonder about the official regulations...

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”