"designed to look deadly"

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Robert Rojas

RE: "Designed To Look Deadly" - (Well Sort Of But Not Really).

Post by Robert Rojas » 12 Oct 2018 23:07

Greetings to both citizen Sheldrake and the community as a whole. Howdy Sheldrake! Well sir, in respect to your posting of Friday - October 12, 2018 - 1:02pm, old yours truly is of the school of thought that the ONLY issue that is worth contending is the appropriate location of this technical topic of interest. From where I stand (or sit for that matter), old brother South's creation should have been consigned to the AXIS EQUIPMENT section of the forum under the sub-section entitled as THE RON KLAGES PANZER AND OTHER VEHICLES SECTION. As you have undoubtedly observed, much of the give and take within this thread has rarely touched upon the Fatherland's mighty King Tiger Heavy Battle Tank. This thread clearly belongs within the realm of the community's TREAD HEADS or DUMB-ASS TANKERS. Now, for matters that are laughably ungrammatical, then just read a sampling of MY postings since year 2002! TRUST ME! Well, that is my latest two cents, pfennigs or kopecks worth on this meandering topic that once had something to do about the aesthetics of the King Tiger Heavy Battle Tank - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day over in your corner of merry old England. GOD SAVE THE QUEEN - not mention everyone else!

Best Regards From The Upstart Colonies!
Uncle Bob :idea: :) :P :lol: :wink: 8-) :thumbsup:
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

Stiltzkin

Re: "designed to look deadly"

Post by Stiltzkin » 13 Oct 2018 23:01

the most absurd nonsense without any official sanction
The "official" history is actually what worries me the most.
Do a search for Flat-Earth content on You Tube. That should destroy and hope you have in the power of modern education.
In pre-internet days lots of people believed crazy things but they kept it to themselves. Now you can find many like-minds online and organise yourselves into a movement.
True, but you see every person who received even the most basic form of education should distance itself from any Geocentric or "flat earth model" view, this is covered in elementary school, while AFV and military history are not necessarily taught there. These articles are being pumped out in the dozens, it is more about quantity than quality content. Youd think that they would actually consult any experts on these topics before publishing something. Blogs vs professional journalism, there should be a difference. I am not excluding clickbait of course.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Re: "designed to look deadly"

Post by Andy H » 14 Oct 2018 00:30

Hi All

Can I please put in a polite reminder to stay within a realms connectivity with the thread premise.

Thread drift obviously does happen and sometimes for the betterment and understanding of the original thread title and POV

Equally that same drift can lead us into deep uncharted and unhelpful waters, and this thread is losing those bearings.

People join this forum with varying levels of knowledge and opinions, often polar to other members and often held strongly by either side.
You change peoples minds by force of argument and weight of information/facts. It soon becomes obvious to the knowledgeable reader who
those members are that are ignorant of the facts as presented.

If anyone feels a member should be brought to book for an infringement of the rules, then there is a well known system for doing so.
However, no matter how convinced you are that your right, there will be occasion that those Moderating or Administering this forum
will disagree with you. There are numerous Members over the years who've grated me and I wished I could have just shown them the door,
but I have to go through the same process.
Thankfully this is still a Forum for open and frank discussion and not an echo-chamber, like many MH forums have become.
Please feel free to PM if you want a reply to anything specific in this post I've made, but not via this thread, as they'll only be removed.

Regards to all

Andy H

BDV
Financial supporter

Re: RE: "Designed To Look Deadly" - (Well Sort Of But Not Really).

Post by BDV » 15 Oct 2018 17:29

Robert Rojas wrote:
... old brother South's creation should have been consigned to the AXIS EQUIPMENT section of the forum under the sub-section entitled as THE RON KLAGES PANZER AND OTHER VEHICLES SECTION. As you have undoubtedly observed, much of the give and take within this thread has rarely touched upon the Fatherland's mighty King Tiger Heavy Battle Tank...
I respectfully disagree. In the thread header we have the issue that expands the thread beyond the (de)merits of Adolf's 62 ton pet.

Namely the German penchant (and effort expenditure) for making things/actions as much to "look" deadly/scary. From the bluster of J Goebbels propaganda issuances, to that of Ribbentropp's war threats, to the massiveness of 'stringbag'-sunk Bismarck, to the UBoot blockadeers of UK's strategic lime importation, to the siren on the Stukas and the black paint of the early panzers.

Even Adolf himself talking about Barbarossa did not state something like "Germany will administer Bolshevik Russia a thorough thrashing", but rather "When Barbarossa commences the world will hold its breath."

That is, the spectacle's barbarity and its intimidation of the sideline viewer was foremost in his mind.

From that perspective, "designed to look deadly" is an illustrative example of the one trick pony that Adolf and Germany had wagered everything on, and onto which he and his clique held on dearly, despite circumstances calling for more effective, less flashy, solutions.
Nobody expects the Fallschirm! Our chief weapon is surprise; surprise and fear; fear and surprise. Our 2 weapons are fear and surprise; and ruthless efficiency. Our *3* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency; and almost fanatical devotion

Sheldrake

Re: RE: "Designed To Look Deadly" - (Well Sort Of But Not Really).

Post by Sheldrake » 15 Oct 2018 20:03

BDV wrote:
15 Oct 2018 17:29
In the thread header we have the issue that expands the thread beyond the (de)merits of Adolf's 62 ton pet.

Namely the German penchant (and effort expenditure) for making things/actions as much to "look" deadly/scary. From the bluster of J Goebbels propaganda issuances, to that of Ribbentropp's war threats, to the massiveness of 'stringbag'-sunk Bismarck, to the UBoot blockadeers of UK's strategic lime importation, to the siren on the Stukas and the black paint of the early panzers.

Even Adolf himself talking about Barbarossa did not state something like "Germany will administer Bolshevik Russia a thorough thrashing", but rather "When Barbarossa commences the world will hold its breath."

That is, the spectacle's barbarity and its intimidation of the sideline viewer was foremost in his mind.

From that perspective, "designed to look deadly" is an illustrative example of the one trick pony that Adolf and Germany had wagered everything on, and onto which he and his clique held on dearly, despite circumstances calling for more effective, less flashy, solutions.
You have a point here. This is a point that James Holland makes repeatedly. Get him on the subject of British Germans and US uniforms..
A triumph of Its style over substance. But there is something primal about the imagery and icons of the 3rd Reich.

To quote Psychology today...
'What makes a sexy Nazi?' one respondent noted that:
A well cared for athletic, mature female body, subtly made up fair skin and hard steely blue eyes, long dark hair gathered up carefully in a high ponytail. She is very stylish and well groomed, a pristine women's tailored Black SS uniform laid out for her on the bed beside her as she sits gracefully at her dressing table in her delicate, demure lingerie and Fully fashioned seamed and Cuban heel Nylons leaning elegantly forward and to the side to pull up the zips on her gleaming almost mirror polished Black Leather 5" heel knee boots. Her visor cap, Black Leather Gloves, 4ft bull whip and SS officer's belt on her pillow along with the heavy Leather holster that shrouds her 9mm P38. The interest in Nazi role-playing and the Nazi fetish is for most people (I can't vouch for everyone), is a stimulating response to strong imagery, well tailored uniforms, and notions of power and fear”.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog ... -fetishism

Though possibly not the average AHF post.....

There isn't much of a fetish following for British Battledress. (Surely woolen underware should have some appeal to masocists? )

Nazi chic lives on..

as does the Furred Reich

ye gods..........
There is now even an erotic novel, The Furred Reich, available to buy on Amazon.
https://www.newstatesman.com/science-te ... -alt-right

this is only a step removed from

I must lie down......

Robert Rojas

RE: "Designed To Look Deadly" - (more OR less).

Post by Robert Rojas » 16 Oct 2018 06:23

Greetings to both citizen B.D.V. and the community as a whole. Howdy B.D.V.! Well sir, in respect to your posting of Monday - October 15, 2018 - 8:29am, old yours truly must duly concede that you clearly do broach brother South's creation from the both the mutual perspectives of Joseph Goebbels Ministry of Truth and Enlightenment and, inadvertently, the advertising scions of Madison Avenue in New York City. Like sex, both armaments and martial rhetoric obviously sells! So, in the spirit of magnanimity, might we agree that brother South's creation's ought to be ensconced within the realm of the PROPAGANDA, CULTURE AND ARCHITECTURE section of the forum? It's just a friendly suggestion. Well, that's my latest two cents or pfennigs worth on the aesthetics of the Fatherland's King Tiger Heavy Battle Tank - for now anyway. As always, I would like to bid you an especially copacetic day no matter where you just might happen to find yourself on Terra Firma.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob :idea: :) :wink: 8-)
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it" - Robert E. Lee

BDV
Financial supporter

Re: RE: "Designed To Look Deadly" - (more OR less).

Post by BDV » 16 Oct 2018 14:12

Robert Rojas wrote:Howdy B.D.V.! Well sir, in respect to your posting of Monday - October 15, 2018 - 8:29am, old yours truly must duly concede that you clearly do broach brother South's creation from the both the mutual perspectives of Joseph Goebbels Ministry of Truth and Enlightenment and, inadvertently, the advertising scions of Madison Avenue in New York City. Like sex, both armaments and martial rhetoric obviously sells! So, in the spirit of magnanimity, might we agree that brother South's creation's ought to be ensconced within the realm of the PROPAGANDA, CULTURE AND ARCHITECTURE section of the forum?
Hello, Mr. Rojas!

As we are bouncing this issue back and forth, we discover that "The need to make an impression" touches all kinds of facets of German Reich's actions during WWII, propaganda (internal and external), weapons production choices, and even strategy (more like strategery if considering the later years). An issue of such broad scope is fair game for a sub-Forum that has in its title:

"& General German Military Discussion"

Once one considers the mindset, the psychological needs that the German leadership (with GROFAZ perched atop) had to kowtow to, vexation over German decisionmaking eases. One, then, more easily sees the method behind the madness, without having to resort to more extreme propositions on German leadership's motivations.
Nobody expects the Fallschirm! Our chief weapon is surprise; surprise and fear; fear and surprise. Our 2 weapons are fear and surprise; and ruthless efficiency. Our *3* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency; and almost fanatical devotion

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”