German Medics

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
ISU-152

Re: armament

Post by ISU-152 » 24 Dec 2002 12:52

Panzerrat wrote:
The Russian Front was an unforgiving & merciless war....Russia was not a signatory to the Geneva convention & therefore viewed Prisoners as a liabilty....no action was taken against Russian soldiers for ANY crimes they may have commited against German prisoners, Quite often Russian Soldiers shot German wounded out of hand for sport, Also concider the tens of thousands of Volksturm who were shot as "partisans" depite having dyed feild grey uniforms or suits & an Armband, the Red Cross was Not recognised infact at the Start of Barbarossa German Medics had clearly marked White Helmets & a cloth chest apron Marked with the Red cross....

Oh, come on, panzerrat, don't start this bullshiting once again. This is getting really old and hairy. The nazis were barbaric beyond imagination.

Panzerrat wrote:The soviets used a Green cross for their symbol....

Where did you get this idiocy from? The red cross was an international symbol of battle medicine. However, after Luftwaffe pilots started to particularly like hunting every train with red crosses on the roof that clearly identified it as a train with woonded, the personnel had to paint those crosses to ordinary color so they would be less visible.

cybercat

Post by cybercat » 24 Dec 2002 15:18

Haoster. Aspirin for chest pain is very acceptable. There is recent research that the taking of an Aspirin each day reduces the likelyhood of heart attack considerably in those with diagnosed heart disease. My mother has heart disease and takes Aspirin each day prescribed by our doctor accompanied by other medicines.

Aspirin is a good painkiller and reduces fevers by lowering the patient's temperature. Scotch Whisky (or Sljivovica if you're Croatian/Bosnian/Serbian/Montenegrin) is also good for the lowering of temperatures as well.

A soldier can manufacture his own Aspirin in the field by finding the nearest willow tree, stripping bark from it, boiling it up in water and then drinking the water. I can attest that it's a good pain killer especially for neuralgia and toothache. It tastes evil though :lol:

Make sure that it's willow bark that you use though as other treebarks boiled up make very, very good laxatives! :lol: Again I have used such a method in the field when I've been constipated because of tinned meat or ration packs.
Last edited by cybercat on 24 Dec 2002 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

cybercat

Post by cybercat » 24 Dec 2002 15:33

The green cross code was a method of teaching schoolchildren in the UK of how to cross the road in the 1970s! :lol:

The recognised symbols of medics wourldwide are the red cross or red crescent, both on a white background. This is usually worn as an armband by frontline medical troops.

The carrying of pistols or sub-machineguns is also common but as Christoph says for self-defence - this is acceptable under the Geneva Convention. Women solders in the British Army, not being combatant, are also allowed to carry arms for their own self-protection.

The administering of a coup de grace by a medic although illegal and against the Hippocratic Oath would have happened in the case of a medic or other soldier not being able to relieve the terrible pain and suffering of a badly wounded man that would have certainly died eventually. It would have been a mercy killing and it certainly would not have been policy but a decision taken in individual circumstances. In particular it would have carried out by troops behind enemy lines or in full retreat, where it is known that the enemy would mistreat or torture those badly wounded comrades left behind before death. There have been many documented cases of this being carried out, not only by the Germans but by the Russians and the British as well and not only in WWII.

Panzerrat

Post by Panzerrat » 26 Dec 2002 15:24

Thankyou all for the kind words
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 26 Dec 2002 16:56

Panzerrat,

Do you have any more info on those photos, such as when and where they were taken?

/Marcus

cybercat

Post by cybercat » 26 Dec 2002 17:19

The first picture is of German medics under guard from an American soldier. Possibly the vests were issued by the Americans. Also as they are PWs then it is obviously in a rear area.

Picture two shows a medic at work with a helmet painted white with a red cross. This is obviously not a frontline position or the soldier on the left would not be sitting up and out of the trench in the open. However, the medic's wearing an armband and not a vest. Whether the helmet was issued to him like that or he did it himself, who can say?

Third picture is so blurred that I can't tell. Some of the soldiers in the picture seem to be wearing winter camouflage so perhaps that is the reason for the white helmets.

Haen. Give us your verdict mein herr.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

pictures

Post by Christoph Awender » 26 Dec 2002 21:25

Interesting fotos. As I said in some occasions the vest was worn like in the first foto although it is possible they are american ones.

Second foto looks like a reenactment foto for me... doesn´t look like genuine WW2.

Third foto I cannot see any red cross on the helmet.

just my 2cents,
Christoph

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

foto

Post by Christoph Awender » 26 Dec 2002 23:12

Found the third foto in Alex Buchners book bigger and clearer.... no red cross, sorry.

Christoph

HaEn
In memoriam

Re: pictures

Post by HaEn » 27 Dec 2002 01:20

Christoph Awender wrote:Interesting fotos. As I said in some occasions the vest was worn like in the first foto although it is possible they are american ones.

Second foto looks like a reenactment foto for me... doesn´t look like genuine WW2.

Third foto I cannot see any red cross on the helmet.

just my 2cents,
Christoph

First photo: Have never seen such vests, other than U.S. issue.
Second photo: Unrealistic pose; the SS schütze with helmet down in trench and the Uscha sitting on the edge without a helmet. Agree with Chris, probably reenactment
Third photo: Just Ostfront winter snow camo.
Also just my two pfennig. 8) HN

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

german vests..

Post by Christoph Awender » 27 Dec 2002 01:37

Also the germans had vests.... at least they were listed in the equipment list of a Field-hospital.
But as I said ust worn occasionally and far behind enemy influence like here in a harbor where a ship with wounded soldiers arrives.

Foto is from: Alex Buchner, Die Deutschen Sanitätstruppen

davethelight

Post by davethelight » 27 Dec 2002 15:17

Just curiosity, I'm no expert in this department, but does'nt that last photo show a jeep? Like allied issue! Could this picture not also show Germans as POWs, or did the Germans capture the jeep?

Panzerrat

Re: foto

Post by Panzerrat » 27 Dec 2002 15:50

...i have no information about any of the origins of the images.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Panzerrat on 02 Jan 2003 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

medics

Post by Christoph Awender » 27 Dec 2002 19:37

Davethelight, this Jeep was a captured one as far as I know. As far as I know it was used in Wilhelmshaven but the informations where this foto comes from differ.

Panzerrat, attached is the foto in a better quality although still bad. BTW ´why do you like to proof that at least one medic under 100 000 used a red cross painted on his helmet? Just curious. It was against regulations and why should they do it?

Panzerrat

Re: medics

Post by Panzerrat » 27 Dec 2002 19:57

:oops:
Last edited by Panzerrat on 02 Jan 2003 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

Panzerrat

Post by Panzerrat » 27 Dec 2002 20:03

Atleast now i have some very clear & large images to share with others interested in the German Medics of WW2 8)

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”