Bunkers on Omaha Beach & Saving Private Ryan.

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 13 Mar 2003 18:33

Hallo Oscar!

This is definately NOT a R-667 Pak bunker.......
The flanking wall is typical for Pak bunkers, but this looks more like an entrance to a underground shelter of tunnel....
The 3 black "holes" on each side is usually for the hinges of a armoured door! Have you got more photos of this construction?

Erik

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 14 Mar 2003 09:12

Hi again Erik! Thanks for your precision. I have another shot, but I´m afraid it won´t be enough to determinate which sort of bunker is. It´s like the first photo I posted... I can´t post it now. :cry: This evening you´ll have it.
Cheers. Óscar :wink:

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 14 Mar 2003 20:47

.. Here´s the promise. The last shot I have. Hope it helps.
Óscar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 14 Mar 2003 21:21

Hallo!

It is not possible to make a 100% ID from the outside.....

However, according to DAWA, this was a R-669 for field gun!
Would you be able to recognize it from the inside if I post a drawing?

Erik

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 15 Mar 2003 13:59

I think so, Erik. Try it! I´m posting you my answer tomorrow afternoon... Weekends brings commitments :wink:
Regards. Óscar

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 15 Mar 2003 22:54

Well, there isn`t too much inside :D So it will be easy to remember!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 16 Mar 2003 23:33

Hi, Erik!
According to the photos and my photographic memory, I´m sure this is undoubtedly what I saw... Yes I can remember pretty well the small compartments that appear before the main room ( and the coke cans on the floor :( )
Right: R-669.
Regards, Óscar.

Reich Ruin

Post by Reich Ruin » 20 Sep 2005 21:31

Awesome pictures! I was wondering why the German's where stupid enough to make machine gun bunkers so big....when really they didn't! Your right the ones in Saving Private Ryan and some other publications are observation bunkers. Still I wouldn't be surprised if they fired from one of those.... :?

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 20 Sep 2005 21:54

Your right the ones in Saving Private Ryan and some other publications are observation bunkers. Still I wouldn't be surprised if they fired from one of those....
You could be right that it is an observation bunker, but then I have to add that the Germans were very clever when it came to camoflage their bunkers, and especially the observation bunkers, as they are "the eyes of the guns".

Have a look at a nice the/now example here!
Looks like a house!
(Original photo from Farsund Avis)

GMC72

Omaha Beach

Post by GMC72 » 23 Sep 2005 19:21

Óscar G wrote:Hi Erik!
Another shot taken at WN62. Erik, you´ll be able to check if this is the defence you suggested before (R-667 Pak bunker). This place was full of MG, mortar, tunnels, "tobruk" positions… In short, a well armoured and defended zone. I think Leutnant Fernick (sorry, I can hardly remember his surname…) commanded the post. He informed to Houteville position (105 mm) 8 km far away (inland) where the american positions were. These were shattered all that morning...
Sorry for the photo. I´ve just scanned it from my album. Hope this helps
Óscar
Hi to all, I'm new to the forum.
The Leutnant that you mentioned was Leutnant Bernhard Frerking, decorated with "Eisernes Kreuz II" and "Winter 42 in Russia" Medal; also called the medal of frozen flesh.
Bernhard Frerking was killed on June 6, 1944 by a direct hit in the head. His body was only recovered many years later and he was burried at the German Military Cemetary of La Cambe, Normandy.

As for SPR, it is true that the movie was shot in Ireland, nothing on Omaha Beach refers to it.

The bunker position WN 62 "Widerstandsnest" or resisting point is not as it was in 1944. The front positions and the anti-tank ditch were filled by US forces as if they wanted no witnesses of the places that caused the death of so many soldiers.
WN62 has also become a point of remembrance to many people who didn't know the war. I was there this year on June 6 at 0630 hours and believe me, I was not alone. Man dressed in civilian but also in German and US uniforms all gather on this strongpoint and they all are facing the sea as if they wait for the ships to return. Something to give you shivers.

One special item to Omaha Beach is the fact that almost no publications mention the existence of WN 59 at St.-Honorine-des-Pertes, a small village just in front of Colleville-sur-Mer, coming from Port-en-Bessin.
WN59 was the observation bunker of Major Werner Pluskat, commander of the regimental battery of Gren Reg 352 and who became immortal as the Major in the German observation bunker in The Longest Day.
In fact on June 6th 1944, nobody could find Pluskat and Frerking was left on his own. Nobody says where Pluskat was that day.
The observation bunker used in The Longest Day is the one in front of the coastal battery at Longues-sur-Mer. Entrance free, easy to visit.

AvB

Post by AvB » 24 Sep 2005 20:09

Hi, check out http://bunkersite.com -> Normandie!
Lots of info! ;)

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”