Volkswagen plant in Fallersleben: financial info

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
Boby

Volkswagen plant in Fallersleben: financial info

Post by Boby » 05 Aug 2015 15:35

Hi

I need some info on this topic. What was the building cost of the plant, machine tools, etc? I remember reading that it exceeded 200 million RM and is usually called a disaster and irrational project, but I want to know the real conditions. Tooze explains that it needed an output of at least a million cars a year to be economically sustainable at such low price (under 1.000 RM). But note that today it is the biggest car production plant in the world with more than 800.000 a year, so Im curious to know why it would be a disaster in the 40s even without war (Tooze). Its much like the Buna plant at Auschwitz.

Thanks

General91

Re: Volkswagen plant in Fallersleben: financial info

Post by General91 » 21 Jun 2016 23:27

I realize this is an old post, but I would like an answer to this question as well. In addition to my synthetic fuel plant cost post earlier, I have been wandering what the cost of additional factories would be, whether they be for motor vehicles like in Fallersleben, or tanks at Alkett. Was the cost to build this plant really 200 million RM? Bismarck was "only" 196.8 million RM for comparison. Anyone know the cost of the Alkett tank plant?

Thanks!

General91

Post by General91 » 10 Jul 2016 18:29

Hey all, I just wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone could please help answer the questions above given by myself and Boby, or perhaps at least provide a web link to find the information? Please and thanks!

Boby

Post by Boby » 03 Jul 2017 15:47

215 million RM as cited in this book:
https://books.google.es/books?id=VuYis_ ... &q&f=false

Construction, machine-tools and equipment. Original from USSBS Report #88.

Generally, Third Reich investment policies in plants are little known.

Return to “Economy”