Glossary of Japanese Military Terms

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
cstunts

Re: Glossary of Japanese Military Terms

Post by cstunts » 17 Jan 2022 23:17

Thank-you again, fontessa-san.

What do you call this type of document (for SHIGURE in 1944)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 20 Jan 2022 10:29

Hello cstunts,
cstunts wrote:
17 Jan 2022 23:17
What do you call this type of document (for SHIGURE in 1944)?
I had no knowledge of the procedure for awarding medals, so there may be some mistakes.
I saw this format for the first time. I think it is a document created for personnel evaluation. The type of medal was decided by accumulating evaluations (called 功績 achievements) every year. I think the commanding officer may have evaluated the work situation during that period by dividing it into milestones in response to the behavior of the ship. Kanji 功績 meant “Achievement”. This procedure seems to have been simplified as the war progressed. Here is an example of the same 27th Destroyer Division after the start of the war.
The achievement evaluation was carried out by the Commanding Officer, and after the approval of the Fleet Commanding Officer, the result was submitted to the 海軍功績調査部 Naval Achievement Investigation Department together with the 戦闘詳報 Action Report or 戦時日誌 War Diary for the evidence of the action of the ship. The example of the War Dialy of the 27th Destroy Division is here.
https://www.jacar.archives.go.jp/aj/met ... 8030148200
The top sheet was the cover attached by Naval Achievement Investigation Department.

功績概算見表 1.jpg

功績概算見表 2.jpg

fontessa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cstunts

Post by cstunts » 20 Jan 2022 21:55

Domo arigato gozaimasu, Fontessa-san.

I appreciate all your good work. I had no idea this was a performance evaluation form either.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”