German Units in Finland

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
russ.case

German Units in Finland

Post by russ.case » 08 Oct 2020 01:05

Hello,

I would like to identify all the German units operating in Finland during WWII as well as their fieldpost numbers. I can imagine this could be a long list, so pointing to reference material would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mangrove

Re: German Units in Finland

Post by Mangrove » 08 Oct 2020 09:06

russ.case wrote:
08 Oct 2020 01:05
I would like to identify all the German units operating in Finland during WWII as well as their fieldpost numbers.
What is your definition of Finland? Do you mean only units operating in Finland proper or also units operating in regions occupied by the Finnish Defence Forces (e.g. East Karelia)? For a starting point, see FMP - German Forces in Finland during World War II 1941-1945.

russ.case

Post by russ.case » 08 Oct 2020 20:39

Hello,

The link you provided is a fantastic start. Thank you. I have a list started but it is nowhere near complete. The site you indicated will most certainly help fill in some gaps.

My definition of Finland is based on the time period. When parts of East Karelia was part of Finland, and German forces occupied those portions of East Karelia, then that is acceptable. Let's just say that German forces occupied East Karelia today. That would not interest me. If Finland occupied a part of Russia, and German forces were participating, that would not interest me, unless those forces were "based" in Finland proper and were just operating over the border.

However, even if German forces traversed Finland, say from Norway travelling to Murmansk, then that would interest me, if they stopped for a time and established themselves temporarily. If there was no "stopping" and they did not interact with anyone, then no interest. For example, if German forces flew across Finland, that's of no interest.

I am trying to establish my criteria and I hope I am successful. Essentially if German forces were based anywhere in Finland, in territories that at the time were part of Finland, then that is what I am looking for.

I know this is the Axis History site, but I am also interested in Russian forces when they occupied Porkkala after WWII until they left.

Thanks.

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 08 Oct 2020 21:07

russ.case wrote:
08 Oct 2020 20:39
When parts of East Karelia was part of Finland, and German forces occupied those portions of East Karelia, then that is acceptable.
Parliament of Finland (Eduskunta) declared the parts ceded or rented to the USSR in 1940 to have been integrated back to the Republic of Finland on 6 December 1941. The occupied East Karelia was under military administration but never as part of the Republic of Finland.
russ.case wrote:
08 Oct 2020 20:39
I know this is the Axis History site, but I am also interested in Russian forces when they occupied Porkkala after WWII until they left.
1st Mozyrskaya Red Banner Naval Infantry Division, ex-55th Rifle Division, was transferred to Porkkala in December 1944. NKVD's 9th Border Detachment secured the borders with Finland.

russ.case

Post by russ.case » 09 Oct 2020 00:50

Thank you. I stand corrected. I should have said when parts of Karelia, as opposed to East Karelia. I was not aware of the distinction, rather thought that East Karelia was simply named that because it was in the east. A little in depth reading helped.

Thank you very much for the link to the Finnish book. I can't read a word of Finnish but I know several who can. It's interesting that I have been to some of the places pictured in that book, but there are a lot of places that I have not been.

Back to German forces in Finland. Is the web site you pointed me to yours? My "collection" of German units has some that are not listed on the site. Of course there's a lot on the site that I don't have. It's good to have the units, but matching them with fieldpost numbers may be a problem. Finding a unit if you have a number is easy by using the listing in this web site, but having a unit and trying to find a number is almost impossible unless there's a reverse search method. If the database were searchable, then it may be easier.

von Pluring

Post by von Pluring » 14 Nov 2020 07:50

Hello
I'm also searching this info. My grandmother was finnish and worked on the railway in Kemijärvi, she meet there my grandfather who were a german soldier. I dont know his name or his unit. Does anyone know what kind of german units was located i Kemijärvi? My father was born in mars 1945. I inherited her photo album with some photos of soldiers from Luftwaffe and Herr. One of this soldiers i believe is my grandfather. I have heard a rumor that there is a photo of my father and grandfather after the war but I have not found it yet.
My finnish relatives are dead so I can't get information Who he was.

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 14 Nov 2020 15:40

von Pluring wrote:
14 Nov 2020 07:50
Does anyone know what kind of german units was located i Kemijärvi? My father was born in mars 1945.
According to Mikkonen's Parakkeja ja piikkilankaa book and Westerlund's Sotatapahtumia, internointeja ja siirto sodanjälkeisiin oloihin, apart from troops passing through the railway to the front, there were a few units stationed between Rovaniemi and Kemijärvi during the Continuation War:

- Armee Verpflegungslager Vika, Armee-Verpflegungsamt 517 and Bäckerei-Kompanie 663 at Vika.
- Kraftwagen-Werkstatt-Zug der Luftwaffe 106/III, Gengas-Werkstatt-Kompanie 911 & 913 at Lautavaara.
- Gebirgs-Träger-Bataillon 56, Betriebs-Stoff-Lager, Gefangenenbewachung Joutsijärvi and Strassenbaukommando Joutsijärvi at Joutsijärvi.
- Parts of Flak-Regiment 181 (mot.) Flakgruppe Finnland and other Luftwaffe units at Kemijärvi airfield.
- Sanitätskompanie (motorisiert) 508 (1 Gr) at Kemijärvi.
- Soldatenheim Kemijärvi, Soldatenheim Kemijärvi Fliegerhorst, Betreuungsstelle (Verpfl. Aufgabe) Kemijärvi and Soldatenheim Joutsijärvi.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”