Operation Flipper - Commandos trying to kill Rommel

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Wulpe

Operation Flipper - Commandos trying to kill Rommel

Post by Wulpe » 04 Aug 2003 22:25

I can´t believe this has never been discussed in this forum before, but the search function didn´t return anything for "operation flipper" or "geoffrey keyes rommel" ... or maybe I´m too old for this IT stuff ;-)

Anyway, by accident I just discovered a book about a commando operation to take out Rommel´s HQ, and maybe Rommel too.

Here is a webpage about the failed raid.
... As Keyes approached his objective at Beda Littoria on the 17th November friendly Arabs indicated that Rommel's HQ was located at Sidi-Rafa. This was a view also held by Haselden and so Sidi-Rafa became the new target. The plan was for Keyes, Captain Campbell and Sergeant Terry to enter the building. Other ranks were to take up positions to prevent enemy interference. These deployments were to; disable the electric light plant (3 men), watch the exits from the guard tent and car park (5), prevent anyone from leaving a nearby hotel (2), guard the road either side of the building (2) and guard whatever entrance Keyes and his men used to gain access to the building (2).

All parties took up position just before midnight. Having found no entry at the rear of the building Keyes, Campbell and Terry walked up to the front door and beat upon it. Campbell demanded entry in German. The door was opened eventually and on realising he had been duped the sentry put up resistance. Unable to overpower him silently Campbell shot him. The cat was out of the bag! ...

Cara

Post by Cara » 04 Aug 2003 23:07

There is also a movie about this, I believe .

CJ_Backfire

Post by CJ_Backfire » 05 Aug 2003 17:00

nope not really..
but it is the opening sequence od the movie "Rommel the desertfox" from 1951

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen » 05 Aug 2003 21:56

just read an account of that coup.Total failure.4 Germans were killed and of whole commando force only 2 reached to Brittish lines.And Rommel wasn't even present at that location.

Cheers/Juha

Major Linden

Post by Major Linden » 05 Aug 2003 22:46

Juha Hujanen wrote:And Rommel wasn't even present at that location.
He certainly was a slippery old Fox...

That`s the rub with Rommel. Even his own staff didn`t know where he was half the time let alone the enemy! :lol:

Regards,

The Major :)

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 06 Aug 2003 00:35

I don't think Rommel knew where he was half the time either. He seems to rather enjoy getting lost in his Storch :P

Gwynn

Major Linden

Post by Major Linden » 06 Aug 2003 06:54

Gwynn Compton wrote:I don't think Rommel knew where he was half the time either. He seems to rather enjoy getting lost in his Storch :P
Yet another part of the master plan...

At least he never had to worry about giving away his position in an uncoded transmission! :lol:

Regards,

The Major :)

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”