HG Panzer Division, Sicily

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
dsenebrecht

HG Panzer Division, Sicily

Post by dsenebrecht » 16 Aug 2021 21:41

Hi folks: Getting ready to game 82nd Airborne vs HG Panzer Division defending on July 11 and July 12 at Biazzo Ridge south of Niscemi. Did HG Panzer Division grenadiers assault using their halftracks? I see lots of references to Tigers from Abt. 104 and Panzer IVs from HG as well as Panzergrenadiers in the attack. One set of rules/scenario book says Germans had halftracks, another just says they attacked without them. Thoughts? thanks!

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: HG Panzer Division, Sicily

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 07 Sep 2021 20:16

I've never seen a reference to assualting wi the Half-tracks. However there are remarks about support vehicles, & some may have been HT.

The HG Div had been hastily reformed in the previous ten weeks. Equipment was incomplete, so the HT may have been in short supply. There's also a question of time to train in fancy assualt tactic wi vehicles.

What game are you using?

Alanmccoubrey
Financial supporter

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 09 Sep 2021 14:22

The only HT that I have seen in HG service on Sicily were the SdKfz 250 ammunition carriers for the StuG III. Which HG unit do you think would have had HT and was it even on Sicily ? HG's infantry was severely depleted on Sicily and since the Division never fought as a single entity it can be confusing working out who was where.
Alan

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 12 Sep 2021 01:56

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
07 Sep 2021 20:16
I've never seen a reference to assualting wi the Half-tracks. However there are remarks about support vehicles, & some may have been HT.

The HG Div had been hastily reformed in the previous ten weeks. Equipment was incomplete, so the HT may have been in short supply. There's also a question of time to train in fancy assualt tactic wi vehicles.

What game are you using?
Carl,
What are your thoughts on the John Tiller series of games?
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 13 Sep 2021 12:37

Not familiar with Tiller or TalonSoft games.

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”