6 June 1944

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Kim
Financial supporter

6 June 1944

Post by Kim » 06 Jun 2002 15:58

Let us not forget the events of this day 58 years ago. Kim

Lady From Hell

Re: 6 June 1944

Post by Lady From Hell » 15 Jun 2002 04:53

Kim wrote:Let us not forget the events of this day 58 years ago. Kim
Hi Kim :D

How can i forget it i was part & parcel of the Battels that went on there .

Yes i was in the Canadian Army then & i still have many nightmares & dreams about the Killing that went on.

I am now suffering from it Like i have Post Traumetic Stress brought on by thoise battels taht most of the Worl have forgotten . Plus the War Injuries i suffered there, :(

It dont matter what side you were on it was HELL.

Lady From Hell 8)

Annelie

re: Lady From Hell

Post by Annelie » 15 Jun 2002 23:41

Hello:

I have heard that half the battle is determining what the problem is and now that you know it maybe on the positive overcoming this PTSD.

Hope you finally received your medal.

Annelie

ps. Yes, I agree with you that it was HELL no matter what side you were on.

Lady From Hell

Re: re: Lady From Hell

Post by Lady From Hell » 16 Jun 2002 02:53

Annelie wrote:Hello:

I have heard that half the battle is determining what the problem is and now that you know it maybe on the positive overcoming this PTSD.

Hope you finally received your medal.

Hi Annelie :)

ps. Yes, I agree with you that it was HELL no matter what side you were on.
Hi Annelie:
Yes it is very true what you say above . Well as for the PTSD..That problem remains & seems to get worse. I have just been true hell at the Military Hospital Answering all sorts of ? I think you can imagine what about.

Well i have surprised the Military people very much with my Memory That they have asked me tp Write . So what i did was write some items down (6) pages for them so they can continue there rescearche in Conjuction with the USA & other countrys . As it seems i have experienced more then they average share of Human endurance & Live to tell about it.

There people here would like more but. But.

Pheraps it would be better if you ask ? re some of the items that are being discussed to help others. So you can Go the Personal way for more sprcific info. :wink: As Publicely may draw some Flack.

Insofar as the Medal Concerned yes it is here but with all the RED.tape i am still waiting for it to be Presented to me at home as i dont get around as much as i would like so i have to wait for them to get here at home to Present it to me. But realy Medals dont buy Bread or pay the Bills & i have enough of them.(Medals) In Fact my wife has some as well as she & i were in the army at the same time She in the British Army I in the Canadian Army . That was over 60 yrs ago & still counting Its Been Great. <s>

Well Thats it from Here. " Lady From Hell"

HaEn
In memoriam

welcome back

Post by HaEn » 16 Jun 2002 04:04

Hello L.F.H. Good to see you are back on the forum. Thought for a little that we had lost you. Keep in mind McArthur's farewell: Old soldiers never die ( we just smell that way) :cry: :) Anyway. I can understand the P.T.S.D; I have worked (in the U.S.) with several vets who needed to come to grips with the past. But as Annelie said, understanding it, is to solve half of the problem. Keep in mind that you did what you had to do, for God and Country, or whatever other additional reasons you may have had. In regard to you other post on What do people think of ex- AH?, Yes those relatives were in Germany. As you well know, from that time, european families connect across borders sometimes. I also had some in Belgium, but never knew them.

That's it for now. Keep a stiff upper lip ! Regards. HN.

Annelie

Re: Lady From Hell

Post by Annelie » 16 Jun 2002 10:55

Lady From Hell:

I have also heard it said that sometimes it get worse before it gets better?

At my local Costco I bought a book on PTSD. Called the PTSD Workbook by M Williams.
It is exactly as the name implies. An workbook for help those with the disorder. For such a book to be available so wide spread makes me think that this disorder is far more common than once believed and hopefully those whom need help may quickly find it.

Thought you maybe interested.

Annelie

admfisher

Post by admfisher » 16 Jun 2002 17:24

Hello LoFH,
My grandfather was a runner in a 25 pdr. battery. He was in Europe to the end of the war. Canadian I should point out.

Out all of the years he still hesitates to talk of his experiance. I did piece together that most of his problem comes form the final closing of the Falaise gap. I think he went into the pocket once the firing stopped.
This is where his talk of the war ends.
He gives no details and all I can see in his face is pain. A pain that has be carried to long. With all my work on history I thought I might be able to help talk him through but that was not to be.

The human mind is a real can of worms. What effects one, one way , can permantly scare another in a different way.
There is no weakness as a human you have very little control over your brains reaction to a event. All that can be done is to respect the fact that no one can tell anyone else what to feel. We all have a right to our own feelings.

But in grandfathers case, it seems like he feels semi guilty, for the punishment layed on other humans.

In the end I respect him and his feeling. He is a wonderful man that I look upto in a way that I do for no other.
:)

Birgitte Heuschkel

Post by Birgitte Heuschkel » 17 Jun 2002 06:49

I'd think walking into Falaise after the firing stopped could inflict serious traumas on anyone :(

Lady From Hell

Post by Lady From Hell » 19 Jun 2002 01:53

Annelie wrote:Lady From Hell:

>>I have also heard it said that sometimes it get worse before it gets better?

At my local Costco I bought a book on PTSD. Called the PTSD Workbook by M Williams.
It is exactly as the name implies. An workbook for help those with the disorder. For such a book to be available so wide spread makes me think that this disorder is far more common than once believed and hopefully those whom need help may quickly find it.

Thought you maybe interested.<<

Annelie
Hi Annelie:

Reference to someof wha yiu had written is true. Yes it does Get worse before it gets better as i have experiencedit now even with medication it Just seems at times to get worse. It is supposed to push things further back but they have no proof to that as for myself at times my Memories become more real when i sleep to the point that it scares my wife as i react to all sorts of past things i have done or been involved . You see i have seen more of Military Violence then most everyday Military people as i have ben in involved in Military life throuout my life .

In Fact i have a Grandson who was involved in the war in Desert Storm Battle . Have discussed this with my Son his father etc.

In Reference to the Book on P.T.S.D that is available at Cosco thats good for someone that is realy interested with its consquences. You see i can access most info i want on thre internet that my Military Physlogist had given me so as i can co- operate with him & help others .

Part of my Debreifing was that i had to answer 620 Questions of a list sitting by myself with no acess to information . Plus i had given him a lot of Confedintial information that they will not Disclose until i have left this World. Hope you & others who read this will think how many Vetertans of WW2 both sides are walking around without help & i am encouraging this as well for there sake to get help to them through there respective Gvts.

Annelie I did get your Private Comunication & will answer it as soon as i have a bit of rest as i have to take it easy . But i was glad that you had given me some of your Background as well as the Present it makes no difference to our Communication Hope you understand<s>

To bad that i cant answer all the info for some of the others & you To HaEn & admfisher I understand what you are talking about as iwas in the Battle of the Falaise Gap . It was no hell. I have seen Men much older then me breakdown & cry & call for there Mother Besides all the prayers .

As for my self i couldnt cry as i had forgotten how to & Even today i cant but with the treatment i am getting it is helping me

Yes I still hear those 25 pounders in my head as well as the 88s & the Mortars & all the Garbage of people killing each other for what they beleved to be the same <s>

This Letter is written with no annemosity towards no one.

Lady From Hell

Lady From Hell

Post by Lady From Hell » 19 Jun 2002 01:59

Annelie wrote:Lady From Hell:

>>I have also heard it said that sometimes it get worse before it gets better?

Thought you maybe interested.<<

Annelie
Hi Annelie:

Reference to someof wha yiu had written is true. Yes it does Get worse before it gets better as i have experiencedit now even with medication it Just seems at times to get worse. It is supposed to push things further back but they have no proof to that as for myself at times my Memories become more real when i sleep to the point that it scares my wife as i react to all sorts of past things i have done or been involved . You see i have seen more of Military Violence then most everyday Military people as i have ben in involved in Military life throuout my life .

In Fact i have a Grandson who was involved in the war in Desert Storm Battle . Have discussed this with my Son his father etc.

In Reference to the Book on P.T.S.D that is available at Cosco thats good for someone that is realy interested with its consquences. You see i can access most info i want on thre internet that my Military Physlogist had given me so as i can co- operate with him & help others .

Part of my Debreifing was that i had to answer 620 Questions of a list sitting by myself with no acess to information . Plus i had given him a lot of Confedintial information that they will not Disclose until i have left this World. Hope you & others who read this will think how many Vetertans of WW2 both sides are walking around without help & i am encouraging this as well for there sake to get help to them through there respective Gvts.

Annelie I did get your Private Comunication & will answer it as soon as i have a bit of rest as i have to take it easy . But i was glad that you had given me some of your Background as well as the Present it makes no difference to our Communication Hope you understand<s>

To bad that i cant answer all the info for some of the others & you To HaEn & admfisher I understand what you are talking about as iwas in the Battle of the Falaise Gap . It was no hell. I have seen Men much older then me breakdown & cry & call for there Mother Besides all the prayers .

As for my self i couldnt cry as i had forgotten how to & Even today i cant but with the treatment i am getting it is helping me

Yes I still hear those 25 pounders in my head as well as the 88s & the Mortars & all the Garbage of people killing each other for what they beleved to be the same <s>

This Letter is written with no annemosity towards no one.

Lady From Hell

Lady From Hell

Post by Lady From Hell » 19 Jun 2002 02:24

admfisher wrote:Hello LoFH,<<
My grandfather was a runner in a 25 pdr. battery. He was in Europe to the end of the war. Canadian I should point out.

Out all of the years he still hesitates to talk of his experiance. I did piece together that most of his problem comes form the final closing of the Falaise gap. I think he went into the pocket once the firing stopped.
This is where his talk of the war ends.
He gives no details and all I can see in his face is pain. A pain that has be carried to long. With all my work on history I thought I might be able to help talk him through but that was not to be.

The human mind is a real can of worms. What effects one, one way , can permantly scare another in a different way.
There is no weakness as a human you have very little control over your brains reaction to a event. All that can be done is to respect the fact that no one can tell anyone else what to feel. We all have a right to our own feelings.

But in grandfathers case, it seems like he feels semi guilty, for the punishment layed on other humans.

In the end I respect him and his feeling. He is a wonderful man that I look upto in a way that I do for no other.
:)
<<
Hi admfisher:

Re your Letter above i would like to go into it more thourghly but i am a bit tired but wiil give you my experience & answers just as soon as i have a bit of rest.

As you can see i have posted a letter to Annelie & you & others . If you like to ask me or tell me something of a personal nature that should not go on a public Forum Thats fine with me . ( Send Privately)

I Can understand your Grandads Feeling It takes someone thats seen the Violence of war etc. to undrestand.

Hope you understand. I see that you are on I.C.Q . I to am on it<s>

All the Best :
Lady From Hell 8) ( L.F.H)

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 02 Jul 2002 18:58

LFH:

I hope you are progressing and we shall hear from you soon.

I did send you private message some time ago explaining that I am from German background and that since you were at the time willing to answer some questions I did this to clear the air so to speak.

I am still very interested in asking a few questions. As time grows my questions are changing. But, hope when you are feeling better you will allow me to ask one or two.

Regards
Annelie

admfisher

Annelie LFH: the gap

Post by admfisher » 04 Jul 2002 22:24

Thanks for the post I have been away for a few days, so I havn't had a chance to post.

I can understand some of grampa's feelings, to help I reread all of westren europe battlefield history, trying to stay with my Canadains.
This is helping me, but with his pain I wonder if it best left alone I don't want to upset his health but then it is his choice to talk or not to.
The thing I guess I need is a better way of approaching his past, most times it is not mentioned. But on the upside, a few years back,,,
Apparantly while liberating Holland he came across a young girl who would show at there camp each day. After this happened a few times he started gathering spare rations for her family. This kept on till the line moved.
When the 50 year anniversery was coming up his story was printed in Trenton Ont.'s newspaper.
This in turn got to Holland some how, the next thing was the paper there ran the story looking for this girl/lady.
They found her and her family, Grampa and Gramma went to Holland and spent a week with them. It was quite amazing he said. The little girls family and friends all came to see who he was.
I guess this is what allot of vets need. Something that remembers and values them.

We sit and talk about understanding but the deeds are the best remedy.
Annelie wrote:LFH:

I hope you are progressing and we shall hear from you soon.

I did send you private message some time ago explaining that I am from German background and that since you were at the time willing to answer some questions I did this to clear the air so to speak.

I am still very interested in asking a few questions. As time grows my questions are changing. But, hope when you are feeling better you will allow me to ask one or two.

Regards
Annelie

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 04 Jul 2002 22:52

AdmFisher:

I think "also" it is best just to let them talk when they want. If their memories are very bad they quite understandably do not want to be reminded.
But, knowing that people care for you must help them I would think.

We are lucky at these forums that there are some veterans whom openly talk about their experiences. They are in a way the lucky ones. They have come to grips with the whole experience and we are fortunate to learn from them.

I am sure that your grandfather is happy to know your interested. They went through what we hope we should never experience. Thankyou for sharing that lovely story about your grandfather and the little girl and the reunion.

Yes I find you are one hundred right when you say

>>I guess this is what allot of vets need. Something that remembers and values them.>>

I know I remember and value "ALL" of them.

Annelie

admfisher

Annelie

Post by admfisher » 05 Jul 2002 16:11

Annelie

Thanks again, I will follow your lead and leave the past alone.
You cleared something up for me.
Grampa saves all of his Legion magazines that he gets for me. Maybe this is his way of acknowledging my interest.
: ) Kinda brings to mind his boat rides.
Each time I go to his cottage one of the first things he does with me is to take his motor boat out on the lake for an hour or so. We talk very little. Never have I been able figure this out. Now maybe what he is doing is, taking these rides with for the quiet.
For me, the time is great, the waves and the trusted quiet.

When working in a team pipefitting, pipelining, or any type of hard work that depends on the team working well. Most communication can be done without verbal actions, you just have the feeling of what is needed and the work is done.

I have not been in the services. But I was a sargant in Air Cadets when I left them after five years. In that time the summer training under the forces we learned alot about this unspoken way of working together, today I don't find many people who understand it. Everone is always yapping to make a point.

The trusted silence if you understand me, (maybe no one wants to talk to me) is gift that is falling away espically with the the younger ones. I am 36 and the daugther is 18, and boy they talk alot!

Back to gramps. When he talks of the war it is usually a surprise, maybe I should spend more time with him. But then we get back to what life is today.
To busy.

So we will go with your advice and just leave the past alone, I can let him know what my site and work is about, and that way when he is ready he knows he will have a good listener.

Off of this,
the book store owner is supposed to be introducing me to SS Tiger man soon. Apparantly he started talking a few years back, but it was only with the collapse of the Communists.
This should be interesting.

Thanks again
Grant

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”