Looking for info - Civilian participation in the Ardennes Counteroffensive

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Hayes

Looking for info - Civilian participation in the Ardennes Counteroffensive

Post by Hayes » 23 Oct 2021 13:10

How much active participation was there by local Belgian or Luxembourger civilians in the Ardennes Counteroffensive (aka Battle of the Bulge), either on the Allied or Axis sides? When I say "active" participation I mean civilians openly working for either side in some capacity.

I was reading an online article about the Luxembourger resistance, and it mentioned that some members went on to "support" American forces during the Battle of the Bulge, but it didn't provide details on what kind of "support" they offered.

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Re: Looking for info - Civilian participation in the Ardennes Counteroffensive

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 26 Oct 2021 17:18

Hello Hayes,
I'm not sure at all but the Belgian Resistance did not participate into the battle of the Bulge. There were only some units (like Belgians in britich SAS uniforms and some units of Belgian volunteers wearing brittish or american uniforms and they belonged to the new Belgian Army into the so called "Bataillons de Fusiliers"
Very sorry but I haven't no more information.
Kindly regards
Prosper :wink: :wink:

Hayes

Post by Hayes » 26 Oct 2021 17:27

Prosper Vandenbroucke wrote:
26 Oct 2021 17:18
Hello Hayes,
I'm not sure at all but the Belgian Resistance did not participate into the battle of the Bulge. There were only some units (like Belgians in britich SAS uniforms and some units of Belgian volunteers wearing brittish or american uniforms and they belonged to the new Belgian Army into the so called "Bataillons de Fusiliers"
Very sorry but I haven't no more information.
Kindly regards
Prosper :wink: :wink:
Hi Prosper, no worries. That article about the Luxembourg resistance made me curious, so I figured I might ask. I'm not just asking about the resistance here, but civilians in general. Perhaps someone else knows something. I'm pretty sure I've heard of Belgian civilians helping out in Allied hospitals during the fighting... or maybe that was in a movie... :P

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 30 Oct 2021 16:46

In Luxembourg, where a good part of the battle took place, small numbers of local resistance fighters assisted the Americans. A month before the battle, some of them had successfully repulsed SS troops attempting to retake the town of Vianden. The story may be slightly embellished, it's hard to believe these résistants killed eighteen SS men for the loss of only one of their own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vianden
Last edited by Knouterer on 30 Oct 2021 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 30 Oct 2021 16:49

Some of the resistance fighters from Vianden, date unknown. Apart from German weapons two American M3 submachine guns are in evidence.
Second from the right is Frankie Hansen, whose story is rather interesting:
http://frankiehansen.org/wk1/index.php? ... setlang=en
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Hayes

Post by Hayes » 30 Oct 2021 17:42

Knouterer wrote:
30 Oct 2021 16:46
In Luxembourg, where a good part of the battle took place, small numbers of local resistance fighters assisted the Americans. A month before the battle, some of them had successfully repulsed SS troops attempting to retake the town of Vianden. The story may be slightly embellished, it's hard to believe these résistants killed eighteen SS men for the loss of only one of their own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vianden
Ah, that must be what the article I read was referring to. Cheers for that. Were there any other instances of the Luxembourg resistance fighting these sorts of battles during the Ardennes campaign?

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”