Weserübung

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Erik E
Financial supporter

Weserübung

Post by Erik E » 09 Apr 2002 21:41

On this day, 62 years ago, Germany invaded Norway. The fight lasted for allmost 2 months, leading to the escape of our king, and Norways capitulation. It was the beginning of 5 dark years of our history.........

EE

Thorfinn
Banned

Post by Thorfinn » 09 Apr 2002 23:59

It was the beginning of 5 dark years of our history...
Or, it was five memorable years where Norway was moving in the right direction, but having an ultimate ending of pain. It depends on the old Norwegian that you talk to. Nowdays, it is denied by many, if they did like being with the Third Reich. It must be remembered that there were many Norwegians with family ties to Germany, there were many Norwegian supporters of Germany, and there were many Norwegian volunteers that served Germany. This past is lost by the majority that like to view their nation of Norway as completely being a victim of German aggression...but if the Germans in Austria can play the innocent victim, why not Norway? :roll:

The German invasion of 9 April 1940 was not wanted by Germany or Norway. It was largely due to the Altmark incident, and other problems caused by the English. The Norwegians were not treated badly, and they were largely allowed self rule. The German military always conducted themselves in an exemplary manner while in Festung Norwegen.

Some old Norwegians think that the real dark time was the killings of Quisling, and Hagelin, and the suicides of other Norwegian leaders. The 50,000 Norwegians sentenced for treason, and the Norwegians jailed and deprived of rights was also quite dark. It was also a dark time when the cowardly government, so called "king", ect., returned to rule the nation that they would not stay in, and would not fight for.

Happy anniversary.

Snorre

Post by Snorre » 10 Apr 2002 07:06

Hi Thorfinn,

You raise a difficult issue here. I think the Norwegian ties to Germany was very strong at the time, in all levels of the society. In science, for instance, German was the leading language, just like Latin used to be and English is today.

You say that the invasion was not wanted by the Germans. Do you think that Germany could "allow" Norway to be a close ally with the UK? Or do you think they were hoping for a "neutral" Norway, like Sweden, who, for all practical purposes, were allied to Germany.

On the "moving in the right direction"-bit, I must agree in part. Those five years ment a lot in terms of e.g. infrastucture. I also share the impression (from my grandparets) that the Germans "conducted themselves in an exemplary manner". However, during the final stages of the war, please remember that most of N Norway was destroyed.

Thanks anyway for an interesting, alternative view!

Best regards,

Snorre

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 10 Apr 2002 15:32

The German military always conducted themselves in an exemplary manner while in Festung Norwegen.
It doesn`t seem like you have read too much about Norway if you say "allways".

With "5 dark years" I meant the killing of thousands of Norwegians, the sinking of ca 600 ships!, the "burnt soil" tactics in Finnmark, numerous aliied bombing raids, commando raids, MTB raids+++.

Erik E

Dan
Financial supporter

Post by Dan » 10 Apr 2002 15:39

This has been covered in depth here before. Germany didn't have any choice. Britain had declared war on Germany when Germany didn't want to fight Britian. Britain was preparing an invasion force to occupy Norway, and this couldn't be allowed, no way.

And when the King came back, his shining white armour was quickly stained by the governments actions towards the Tysker bastards.

Thorfinn
Banned

Post by Thorfinn » 10 Apr 2002 19:01

"Erik E", you do not have to say that I have not "read too much about Norway". I was just giving the other view. I have read about Norway, and I have a house and family in Norway. I do think that the Germans conducted themselvs in a very good way, "always". Norway could have been the last German stand, and that would have destroyed everything, but the Third Reich gave up Norway peacefully. You mention the "burnt soil" tactics in Finnmark and Troms, but Eastern Finnmark was already devastated by enemy bombings. Kirkenes was bombed 328 times. The "burnt soil" tactics were not meant to harm Norway; they were a fairly standard part of German military retrograde movements. Similar actions took place on German soil as well.
With "5 dark years" I meant the killing of thousands of Norwegians, the sinking of ca 600 ships!, the "burnt soil" tactics in Finnmark, numerous aliied bombing raids, commando raids, MTB raids+++.
You forgot the horrible monetary situation caused by the Third Reich printing money nonstop. Compared to most of the Nations of Europe though, Norway did not come up that bad. It is said that a total of 10,262 Norwegians lost their lives in the war.

Even after the war, the Allies were purposely hurting Norway. It was mainly England that forced Norway to destroy all of the large ammounts of high quality, good condition German weapons and equipment that were left in Norway. The people of Norway wanted to keep these things, but the English forced their destruction, so Norway would then have to buy weapons from England. It does not get much lower than hurting a nation that needs their money for reconstruction.

As far as the self proclaimed "government" that fled Norway for England, many are of the mindset that they should have stayed in England. A real government leads its people, and they do not run away to leave their people to an unknown fate. I think Norway would be better today if the "leaders" never returned to the Norway that they left. They were, and are, cowards that deserve our scorn.

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 10 Apr 2002 19:49

I agree to some point, but no matter which wiew we look at, it`s wrong to claim that Norway came better out of ww2 than they entered!
Included in "The dark years" I also thought of the Allied bombing of Laksevåg, which killed 200 civilians including 61 children in Holen school. Numerous RAF strikes on civilian ships from Lindesnes to North cape. Russian subs shooting at fishing vessels. The Lofoten raid, which harmed Norway far worse than the Wehrmacht. (This list could be 10 times longer)

Maybe I was a little fast when I wrote that you hadn`t read too much, ofcourse I don`t know. Maybe I was stunned over your uncommon point of wiew......

Regards
Erik E

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”