SS-Untersturmführer Nieuwendijk-Hoek

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Mikedc

SS-Untersturmführer Nieuwendijk-Hoek

Post by Mikedc » 26 Sep 2006 16:43

While searching something about SS-Regiment 'General Seyffard' on the internet yesterday-evening I came accross the name of a Dutch SS-Ustuf named Nieuwendijk-Hoek. In July 1944 he should have served with Regiment 'General Seyffard' and he fought at the Tannenberg linien at that time.
I can't find this man in my files and nothing more on the internet and this forum about him. Who can help me with some more info about him????

Thanks,
Mike

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 26 Sep 2006 16:51

SS-Ustuf. Cornelius Nieuwendijk-Hoek:
* born on 22.07.1919, Batavia
* as SS-Sturmman posted to 2./SS-Flak-Abt. 5 in 1/43
* as SS-Ustuf. posted to position of Chef, 1./Pz.GR.48 in 7/44
* MIA on 21.7.1944

Source: Führerliste der Waffen-SS

Regards,
Klemen

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 26 Sep 2006 16:59

Hello Klemen,

I thought he would be on the Führerliste and I'm gratefull that somebody who has this liste came up with some more info about this man.

At least yet another mystery solved and again a new name to my ever growing files.....

Thanks,
Mike

feldmeyer 1

Post by feldmeyer 1 » 27 Sep 2006 23:05

Hi Mike,

Nieuwendijk-hoek survived the war.He lives still in the netherlands,but due to age and ill health will not give interviews anymore.He is one of the sole survivers of the Narva retreat of the 48. regiment ''Seyffardt''.

regards,

Etienne

Cees

Post by Cees » 28 Sep 2006 12:08

He was the only officer to reach the Tannenberg-Stellung after the 48th regiment had been trapped and annihilated. Several other officers survived this tragedy, but they only returned to The Netherlands in the fifties.

Nieuwendijk Hoek was put in command of SS-Flak-Batterie 103 at the end of the war, and got the DKiG from Wagner during the heavy fightings near Stettinn (Brückenkopf-Altdamm).

I am in the process of making a website about Narva. The tragedy of the 48th regiment will be examinated in detail.

With kind regards,

Cees

panzerschreck

Post by panzerschreck » 28 Sep 2006 12:16

I am in the process of making a website about Narva. The tragedy of the 48th regiment will be examinated in detail.
Sounds very interesting! Looking forward to it.

/H.

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 28 Sep 2006 17:27

Etienne,

Thanks for letting us know he's still amongst the living, although he's already 87 years old. I can imagine he doesn't do interviews anylonger.

I agree with Panzerschreck about this phrase from Cees, sounds mighty interesting and for sure I'm also looking forward to read it when it's done. Keep up the good work Cees, we need people like you who are willing to do all this.

Greetings to all of you,
Mike

Juanjo
Financial supporter

Post by Juanjo » 28 Sep 2006 18:07

Hi Mike

Untersturmführer Cornelius Nieuwendijk-Hoek
Graduated in 9 Kriegs-Junker-Lehrgang in SS Junkerschule Bad Tölz
Promoted Untersturmführer 01/09/1943
Awards: Ostmedaille, EK II

Regards

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 29 Sep 2006 10:06

Hi Juanjo,

Thanks for the additional info, much appreciated of course.

Greetings,
Mike

Cees

Post by Cees » 29 Sep 2006 12:38

Gentlemen, thank you for your kind words - it is highly appreciated. I have included some pictures of Nieuwendijk Hoek's belongings.

Cees

Cees

Post by Cees » 30 Sep 2006 16:46

Quite recently, when I visited a bookshop in Tartu, I bought 'Sinimäed 1944'. A whole chapter is dedicated to the retreat of the 48th regiment. Since my Estonian is almost non-existent, is there someone who can help me translating these pages, or at least this part:

'Nii oli 48. rügemendi 26. juulil kell 17.30 alanud läbimurdekatse juba ette läbikukkumisele määratud. Rünnakule asunud hollandi vabatahtlikke võttis vastu raskete jalaväerelvade mõrvarlik tuli. SS-Untersturmführer Nieuwendijk-Hoeki mälestuste kohaselt kütiti hollandlasi nagu jäneseid. Kohe rünnaku alguses sai surma rügemendi ülem Benner, peagi varises rünnak suurte kaotuste tõttu kokku. Ellujäänud mehed jagunesid väiksemateks rühmadeks, kes omal käel üritasid välja murda piiramisrõngast. Õnnestus see vaid vähestel, nende seas II pataljoni ülemal SS-Sturmbannführer Breymannil. Saksa autorite andmete kohaselt pääses punaväe haardest 20% rügemendi võitlejatest. Nõukogude andmetel langes vangi 400 meest, ülejäänud mehed hukkusid järelikult lahingus. 191. laskurdiviisi lahingutegevuse päeviku kohaselt langes Repniku lahingus ligi 580 vastase võitlejat, 120 meest langes vangi.
Osa vange lasti punaväelaste poolt aga kohapeal maha. Koos mõne kaasvõitlejaga läände pürginud Nieuwendijk-Hoek tabati punaväelaste poolt, kuulati üle ning saadeti siis mahalaskmisele. Imekombel jäi ta kuulidest tabamata, langedes tabamuse saanud kaasvõitlejate vahele. Ka kontroll-lasud tabasid vai Hoeki kõrva. Hoek teeskles surnut, kuid pärast seda, kui punaväelased olid tal säärikud jalast kiskunud ja hakkasid teda läbi otsima, lõi Hoek silmad lahti, virutas jahmunud punaväelasele vastu nägemist ning pani võsa poole jooksu, püstitades enda kinnitusel maailmarekordi. Enne kui üllatunud punaväelased jõudsid põgeniku pihta tule avada, oli ta juba võsa varju kadunud. Omade juurde jõudmine võttis siiski veel mitu päeva aega, millest viimane kulus vaikselt edasi liikudes ning enda eest miine üles võttes. Nieuwendijk-Hoeki saatus oli aga erandlik, enamik rügemendist hukkus. Häving oli nii täielik, et rügement kustutati vahepeal koguni Saksa üksuste nimekirjast ning formeeriti uuesti alles 1944. aasta hilissügisel.'

I know that Mart Laat used some documentation I had given him, but I was wondering in which way he used it. Since the whole chapter consists of fourteen pages, a translation will be quite a job. If someone is willingly to translate the whole chapter for a small fee, just send me an e-mail. Thank you very much.

Cees

W.Vermeer

Re: SS-Untersturmführer Nieuwendijk-Hoek

Post by W.Vermeer » 13 Apr 2010 09:19

and got the DKiG from Wagner during the heavy fightings near Stettinn (Brückenkopf-Altdamm).
What source is ther to verify this? He is not among the known DKiG recipients so sources that proove this would be very welcome.

amateur

Post by amateur » 16 Apr 2010 09:04

Here's a rough and quick translation of this passage:

... So, the 48th regiment's attempt to break through was determined to fail in advance. The attacking Dutch volunteers were received by destructive fire from the heavy infantry weapons. According to the memories of SS-Untersturmführer Nieuwendijk-Hoek the Dutch soldiers were hunted like rabbits. The regiment's CO Benner was killed in the very beginning of the attack and soon the advance collapsed because of too big casualties. The survivors formed smaller groups that tried to fight their way out of the siege by themselves. Very few of them succeeded. Among others the Co of the 2nd battalion SS-Sturmbannführer Breymann made it.

According to the German authors, approximately 20% of the regiment's combatants escaped from the Red Army's grip. According to Soviet sources, about 400 men were taken prisoner, consequently the rest of the combatants must have been killed in battle. According to the combat logbook of the 191st Rifle Division about 580 enemy soldiers were killed in the battle of Repniku and 120 men were taken prisoner.

Soviet soldiers executed some of the prisoners right at the spot. Red Army soldiers also captured Nieuwendijk-Hoek who had been pushing toward western direction with a few follow-combatants. They were interrogated and sent to execution. By a miracle the bullets did not hit him. He just pretended to be hit and fell together with his comrades. Also the control shot hit only his ear. Nieuwendijk-Hoek pretended to be dead as the soldiers were searching him and taking off his boots. Suddenly Hoek opened his eyes, punched one of the Russian soldiers in the face and headed running towards saving woods. By his own assessment he must have made a new world record in sprint. The Red Army soldiers were taken by surprise and when they finally could open fire at the escaping prisoner, he could quickly disappear in bushes. It still took him several days to reach friendly forces. He spent the last day by moving on very slowly and cleaning his path from landmines.

However, the story of Nieuwendijk-Hoek was exceptional. Most of the regiment was annihilated. The destruction was so vast that the unit was temporarily erased from the list of German forces and re-established in late fall of 1944.
'Nii oli 48. rügemendi 26. juulil kell 17.30 alanud läbimurdekatse juba ette läbikukkumisele määratud. Rünnakule asunud hollandi vabatahtlikke võttis vastu raskete jalaväerelvade mõrvarlik tuli. SS-Untersturmführer Nieuwendijk-Hoeki mälestuste kohaselt kütiti hollandlasi nagu jäneseid. Kohe rünnaku alguses sai surma rügemendi ülem Benner, peagi varises rünnak suurte kaotuste tõttu kokku. Ellujäänud mehed jagunesid väiksemateks rühmadeks, kes omal käel üritasid välja murda piiramisrõngast. Õnnestus see vaid vähestel, nende seas II pataljoni ülemal SS-Sturmbannführer Breymannil. Saksa autorite andmete kohaselt pääses punaväe haardest 20% rügemendi võitlejatest. Nõukogude andmetel langes vangi 400 meest, ülejäänud mehed hukkusid järelikult lahingus. 191. laskurdiviisi lahingutegevuse päeviku kohaselt langes Repniku lahingus ligi 580 vastase võitlejat, 120 meest langes vangi.
Osa vange lasti punaväelaste poolt aga kohapeal maha. Koos mõne kaasvõitlejaga läände pürginud Nieuwendijk-Hoek tabati punaväelaste poolt, kuulati üle ning saadeti siis mahalaskmisele. Imekombel jäi ta kuulidest tabamata, langedes tabamuse saanud kaasvõitlejate vahele. Ka kontroll-lasud tabasid vai Hoeki kõrva. Hoek teeskles surnut, kuid pärast seda, kui punaväelased olid tal säärikud jalast kiskunud ja hakkasid teda läbi otsima, lõi Hoek silmad lahti, virutas jahmunud punaväelasele vastu nägemist ning pani võsa poole jooksu, püstitades enda kinnitusel maailmarekordi. Enne kui üllatunud punaväelased jõudsid põgeniku pihta tule avada, oli ta juba võsa varju kadunud. Omade juurde jõudmine võttis siiski veel mitu päeva aega, millest viimane kulus vaikselt edasi liikudes ning enda eest miine üles võttes. Nieuwendijk-Hoeki saatus oli aga erandlik, enamik rügemendist hukkus. Häving oli nii täielik, et rügement kustutati vahepeal koguni Saksa üksuste nimekirjast ning formeeriti uuesti alles 1944. aasta hilissügisel

Regiment Norge

Post by Regiment Norge » 24 Apr 2010 10:14

ckleijn wrote:He was the only officer to reach the Tannenberg-Stellung after the 48th regiment had been trapped and annihilated. Several other officers survived this tragedy, but they only returned to The Netherlands in the fifties.

Nieuwendijk Hoek was put in command of SS-Flak-Batterie 103 at the end of the war, and got the DKiG from Wagner during the heavy fightings near Stettinn (Brückenkopf-Altdamm).

With kind regards,

Cees
Hi!

Interesting about his DKiG, but is there any evidence to this without Cornelius spoken testimony. His SS-PA does not have any confirmation on a DKiG award! Has it been written in his Solbuch i.e. or other written sources?

The annihilation of Rgt. 48 "GS" is a very interesting story, and I welcome your work to be published about your investigation. I strongly recomend that you visit the Deutsche Dienststelle in Berlin to view the Namentlicher Verlustmeldungen to the regiment. I can help you with tracking names found in the lists there from other archives.

Have you located more russian material about the destruction of the GS?

When the Regiment Norge withdrew from Narva to Tannenberg the 5. company was given the job as (Nahhut) to gard the rear of the regiment Norge. The platoon under the command of the norwegian Ustuf. Magne BERG was given the job within the 5 company to be the last unit to withdrew. As of 27.7.44 this platoon and all of its soldiers were declared as MIA, it was not untill the mid of august 1944 when three surveivors of the platoon reached their own lines. But they were in a such condition that they could not give any good testimony on what happened and they were sent back and away.

My guess is that this platoon within the 5./Norge ended up with the same faith as the Rgt. 48 "GS". In the written testimony of a norwegian who was a VB in the 8./Norge describes the retreat as caotic. Roads were blocked and senior staff officers who arrived in a car ordered the men to throw their personal belongings to fill the big holes (from bombs) in the road just to get the unit moving westwards.

One wounded norwegian officers of the 7./Norge talked to the wounded Stubaf. SCHEIBE in a hospital and SCHEIBE asked several time what had happened to Magne BERG, when the norwegian officer told SCHEIBE that he and his platoon never reached the lines again SCHEIBE went into tears.

Regards

Charles Trang

Post by Charles Trang » 18 May 2021 19:37

He was the only officer to reach the Tannenberg-Stellung after the 48th regiment had been trapped and annihilated. Several other officers survived this tragedy, but they only returned to The Netherlands in the fifties.

What about Friedrich Tröger, Chef d. Stabs-Kp./48 ? He was among the officers which were used to rebuild the regiment during the fall of 1944.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”