High Scorers with Panzers and Paks

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
alcius

Re: High Scorers with Panzers and Paks

Post by alcius » 06 Aug 2022 14:46

i add Schwere Panzerjager aces:

Obefeldwebel Heinz Dumke - SPzjgabt 93 - 24 kills
Unterofizier Fritz Schneider - SPzjgabt 93 - 38 kills as Gunner
(maybe Alfred Ziemann gunner)
Unteroffizier Anton Kreutzberg - SPzjgabt 525 - 36 kills
Feldwebel Werner Bleyer - SPzjgabt 563 - 49 kills
Oberfeldwebel Otto Hecker - SPzjgabt 653 - 27 kills
Oberfeldwebel August Kaminski - SPzjgabt 655 - over 100 kills
Obergefreite Franz Waldner - SPzjgabt 655 - 17 kiills as Gunner in 1 day
Obergefreiter August Hurlebaus - SPzjgabt 665 - 17 kills as Gunner in 1 day on Jagdpanther
Uffz. Altmann - Spzjgabt Feldherrnhalle - 42 kills on Jagdpanther

Alcius

carius

Post by carius » 07 Aug 2022 17:51

Obergefreiter Josef Schimmele,Richtschütze 14./Füssilier-Regiment 34/34.Infanterie-Division

On the 22.06.1944 the Soviets began their Operation Bagration parts of the front of Army Group Centre, including the front near Vitebsk. In this place Obergefreiter Schimmele was serving as a Pak gunner. After strong Soviet fire the gun commander as well as some of the crew became casualties, and so Schimmele took over control of the gun. Just before midday 12 Soviet tanks rolled up in an attempt to break through. Despite the persistent hostile artillery fire, Schimmel brought the gun into position and was able to destroy 4 enemy tanks within a few minutes, forcing the rest to retreat.

Shortly afterwards the Soviets tried again, this time with 8 tanks and a battalion of infantry. With nerves of steel, Schimmele allowed the opposing tanks to get closer and then swiftly knocked out 4 more in succession. 2 Soviet tanks then succeeded in outflanking the gun position and attempted to crush it once and for all. By this time Schimmele had no more armour-piercing ammunition. Nevertheless he swung the gun around even so and engaged the attacking tanks with HE ammunition instead. He was able to score hits on their tracks, thus immobilizing them. Schimmele then turned his attention to the attacking Soviet infantry, engaging them with his last HE rounds. The Soviets decided by now to bypass Schimmele, and so (having expended all of his ammunition) Schimmele was forced to blow up his gun. With two comrades he then pulled back to the Bataillon command post.

js.jpg
George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gastolli

Post by Gastolli » 08 Aug 2022 20:41

alcius wrote:
06 Aug 2022 09:55
Surely Lieutenant Engelhard had destroyed 1 Sherman on June 24th and others on June 21st, I think the 6 kills are only attributed to him.
Hello Alcius!

Well, I have found notes from my visit at the German Archives 10 (!) years ago, this is what AOK 14 wrote in their Tagesmeldung for 23.6.1944 (file BA/MA RH 20-14/36):

I. Fsch.K. Bei 356. ID mehrere Angriffe mit Pz-Unterstützung, alle Angriffe abgewiesen, 3 Pz abgeschossen. Damit sind in diesem Abschnitt am 22. und 23.6. durch Tiger der s.Pz.Abt. 508 unter Führung von Lt. Engelhardt, der sich hierbei besonders auszeichnete, 6 Panzer, 1 Pak und mehrere LKW vernichtet, 1 Panzer bewegungsunfähig geschossen worden.

So, the 6 kills indeed were scored by Lt. Engelhard's Tiger group, not by him personally. Of course his own Tiger could have been responsible for most of these 6 claims ...

Oliver

Gastolli

Post by Gastolli » 08 Aug 2022 21:58

alcius wrote:
06 Aug 2022 09:55
I found another Newspaper for Meier, since it is from June and Rohrig is mentioned in it, I think it is Meyr from Spzabt 504
Hello ..., ah, that's essential to confirm that it's Mayr from 504, not Mayer from 508.

But, additionaly, I have another find from my visit at German Archives in May 2012, from Tagesmeldung AOK 14 for 23.6.1944 (file BA/MA RH 20-14/36):

Antrag auf Nennung im WB:
Bei den schweren Kämpfen am 22.6. nördl. Grosseto hat sich die 1. Kp. der s.Pz.Abt. 504 unter Führung des Lt. Meier durch besonderen Schneid ausgezeichnet. In Gegenangriff und Verfolgung gegen eine überlegene Zahl fdl. Panzer wurden durch die Kp. 8 s.Panzer und 2 s.Pak vernichtet, sowie 10 Panzer erbeutet. An diesem Erfolg ist der Oberfähnr. Röhrig mit seiner Panzerbesatzung durch Abschuß von 5 s.Panzern und Erbeutung von 10 Panzern hervorragend beteiligt.

So, sadly, the 8 tank scored by 1./504 were NOT the score of Lt. Mayer, it was the score of the company, with most of them by the Tiger of Röhrig.

But indeed, we now have identified this Lt. Meier (even wrong in the file from AOK 14) as Lt. Heinrich Mayr.

Oliver

Gastolli

Post by Gastolli » 08 Aug 2022 23:11

alcius wrote:
06 Aug 2022 14:46
i add Schwere Panzerjager aces:
Hi Alcius,

o.k., very well :-)

Werner Bleyer: I know his 33 tanks which got him the Ritterkreuz, but 46 tank kills? Of course, it's very likely that during his time with 3./Pz.Jg.Abt. 616 he also had some success ... You have a source for 46?

Otto Hecker: I just know that he was "one of the most successful gun commanders" of s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 653 (according to the unit history), but I have never seen any tank kill claim for him!?

August Kaminski: wow, that would make him one of the most successful men, even among Tiger and Panther and Sturmgeschütz aces. Do you have a scource for that? Well, Kaminski was with Selbstfahrlafetten as early as France 1940 and even after his Ritterkreuz late in 1944 he had some success in 1945 ...

Franz Waldner: actually, he was with s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 665 (8,8 cm towed Pak), not with s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 655 (Nashorn). I found his EK1 award with XXVI. AK.

August Hurlebaus: also was with s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 665 (8,8 cm towed Pak), it was not the same action as Waldner's. I just don't know why it is claimed (tracesofwar) that he was with a Jagdpanther. Pure nonsens!

Uffz. Altmann = Karl Altmann. He got the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold as early as 1942 as a Gefreiter and Richtschütze with 3./Pz.Jg.Abt. 160 (60. Inf.Div. (mot)). As a Unteroffizier he was a gunner of a Jagdpanther of Kampfgruppe Feldherrnhalle XX/14 (not Pz.Jg.Abt. FHH) within the 35. Inf.Div. sector in early March 1945, scoring 8 tank kills on 4.3.1945, including his 42. kill as a gunner (GermanDocsInRussia).

Oliver

alcius

Post by alcius » 09 Aug 2022 10:13

thanks Gastolli, as usual for your information

For Werner Bleyer
bleyer.png
For Otto Hecker

Ferdinand #231 of the second Kompanie of schwere Panzerjaeger Abteilung 653, August 1943. This vehicle was commanded by Oberfeldwebel Otto Hecker and had 27 confirmed kills during the Kursk battle. It was destroyed in the Soviet counteroffensive in September.
https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_s ... ms/111887/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alcius

Post by alcius » 09 Aug 2022 10:22

with regard to Otto Hecker:
Ferdinand #231 of the second Kompanie of schwere Panzerjaeger Abteilung 653, August 1943. This vehicle was commanded by Oberfeldwebel Otto Hecker and had 27 confirmed kills during the Kursk battle. It was destroyed in the Soviet counteroffensive in September.
https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_s ... ms/111887/
Hecker, Otto, Oberfeldwebel, 2./schw. PzJgAbt 653, 21.06.1944 - PKA III. Stufe "50"

For franz Waldner,for franz waldner, he was decorated with the Kc in Spzjgabt 655
waldner.png
Alcius

alcius

Post by alcius » 09 Aug 2022 10:24

for Hurlebaus, I too had read it in tracesofwar

For Kaminski, I had found an article, I don't remember where, on the occasion of his death.

Born a Mertenheim in East Prussia (just five miles from where Hitler build his headquarters in Rastenburg), Kaminski helped the local blacksmith in the gaps in school. When he finished his studies he became an apprentice baker, passing the final exam in order to practice the profession in 1933. However, in April 1934 he was drafted into the new Reichsarbeitsdienst (Reich Labor Service), to perform six months of work in public works infrastructure in Germany. In November, he enlisted in the army, rising to the 1st Battalion Tank Busters.

In March 1938, Kaminski took part in the occupation of Austria, in September and also participated in the occupation of the Sudetenland. On 16 March 1939, Germany occupied the rest of Czechoslovakia (Bohemia and Moravia), taking over the defensive positions east of the country, on the border with Poland. On Aug. 26, the unit took position in Frankstadt in Czech-Polish border, and on the morning of September 1 entered the Polish territory, crossing the river and reaching the Vistula Olsa the next day. Kaminski took part in the capture of Krakow, Lvov following up - where he was during the surrender of the Polish Army on Sept. 22.

In May 1940, his unit (equipped with Panzerjager I) was redesignated the 670th tank battalion, and was positioned on the border with Belgium. When you start up the heavy fighting that summer, Kaminski Allies destroyed several armored vehicles for the successful pursuit of the British Expeditionary Force and elements of the French Army, which ended in the isolated beaches of Dunkirk . After an unusual order to stop their advance, Kaminski was one that penetrated the perimeter of Dunkirk, finding all the stuff left on the beach by English soldiers fled. Next, his battalion was diverted to the south, cutting across France and arriving at the port of La Rochelle on June 23, shortly after the French surrender.

Moved to southern Poland in May 1941 and attached to the 17th Army, the 670th Battalion took part in Operation Barbarossa , crossing the southern Soviet Union to Odessa. Along the way, the antitank had their first contact with the giant Soviet KV-1 and the famous T-34 . The following year, Kaminski followed the advance of the 6th Army cross the Don to Stalingrad. After the Soviet offensive in late November, which ended the German siege to the city, Kaminski saw one of his crew being seriously injured, and was immediately ordered to lead him to the airfield Pitomnik for air evacuation. However, along the way, Kaminski himself was wounded by shrapnel, and was also embedded in a He 111 off the siege. In January 1943, the 670th Battalion was destroyed at Stalingrad.

Back in Berlin, Kaminski was assigned to a new unit, the 655th tank battalion, which was now equipped with the Nashorn, 88 mm. So, was sent back to the USSR, where he attended the historic Battle of Kursk. In heavy fighting, Kaminski destroyed several T-34, showing a unique ability to command the Nashorn. Already with over 50 tanks destroyed, he was awarded the German Cross in Gold on 10 October 1943. Wounded in action several times, Kaminski continued a successful string of destroying Soviet tanks, being a leader and commander bold and valiant. He was given command of the 3rd Platoon, being awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on October 6, 1944 for its impressive historical combat.

In 1945, fighting north of Silesia, Kaminski surpassed the mark of 100 armored enemies destroyed, durantemente resisting the Soviet advance. In May, his company commander recommended him for the Oak Leaves of the Knight's Cross, but the process was never completed due to the war's end.

Taken prisoner by the Soviets and sent to Siberia, August Kaminski was only released in 1952. He married in 1957, working in the auto industry until retirement. An active member of ODR , Kaminski attended the meetings annually, and in 2009 launched his biography. One of the last soldiers who fought from the first to last day of the war, he leaves a wife and two daughters.

Alcius

alcius

Post by alcius » 09 Aug 2022 10:32

for Altmann, I had also found the one in (GermanDocsInRussia).
But on Tracesofwar, he gave me Altmann who died September 20th, 1942 (Shelesmiza, Kirejkowo, Bolchow / Bolkhov, Orel Russia) ???
However I attach a Newspaper where Altmann is mentioned, who as a gunner of the Feldwebel Faltinski with a Panther (Jagdpanther) destroyed 7 tanks for his 37th kills
Schwerter Zeitung – 6/4/45 – Pag. 2
https://zeitpunkt.nrw/ulbms/periodical/zoom/121558

Alcius

alcius

Post by alcius » 09 Aug 2022 11:12

I forgot to insert two aces of the Lehr first on Jgadppanzer IV and then on Jagdpanther.

Oberfeldwebel Erich Stolz - 3/SPzjgabt LEHR - 39 kills
Unteroffizier Eduard Job - 3/SPzjgabt LEHR - 46 kills as a Gunner

Alcius

Gastolli

Post by Gastolli » 09 Aug 2022 20:50

alcius wrote:
09 Aug 2022 10:13
For Werner Bleyer
Hello Alcius,

a, very fine. It's always important to have a close look at the various newspaper clippings as they sometimes differ a little bit. This one was totally unknown to me and ..., sadyly, must have been recorded just a few days before Bleyer's death on 28.2.1945.

You may know that the 4.(Jagdpanther)/Pz.Jg.Abt. 563 originated from the 3./Pz.Jg.Abt. 616 (Marder). I'm pretty sure that Fw. Bleyer scored his first successes with a Marder Sfl.

I have found another newspaper refering to that Jagdpanther company, also from the End of March 1945.
Oberdonauzeitung 24.03.45 - Pz.Jg.Abt. 563, Bleyer.jpg
You see, it's from the same Kriegsberichter ...

Oliver
Last edited by Gastolli on 09 Aug 2022 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

Gastolli

Post by Gastolli » 09 Aug 2022 20:54

alcius wrote:
09 Aug 2022 10:22
with regard to Otto Hecker:
Hi Alcius,

o.k., his scores was new to me, the term "one of the most successful ..." known to me, but no details.

It may be interesting to note that Otto Hecker got the EK 1 as early as 5.4.1942 as a Unteroffizier with 2./Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 197, the forerunner of 2./s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 653. I don't know this employment that time, a gunner or a Geschützführer, but certainly, as he also continued to serve until 1944 at least, his score most probably exceeded this 27 kills from "Zitadelle".

I wonder why he wasn't recommended for the German Cross in Gold ...

Oliver

Gastolli

Post by Gastolli » 09 Aug 2022 21:56

alcius wrote:
09 Aug 2022 10:22
for franz waldner, he was decorated with the Kc in Spzjgabt 655
Hello Alcius,
well, thanks for that snippet, here's another one for the same action (note: name spelled incorrectly):
Teltower Kreisblatt 28.06.44 - Pz.Jg. (Waldner) u. Stug, 65 Pz nördl. Rogatschew.jpg
But, please note, he was a gunner with s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 665, not s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 655. The records are wrong!

Note your article, it mentions "Die Zugmaschine für das Geschütz war durch einen Volltreffer vernichtet worden."
That was a towed Pak 8,8 cm. A very reliable gun of course if the conditions where favourable!

Also, three Ritterkreuzträger within the company?

Yes, 2./s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 665 had three of them, but 2./s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 655 had ..., well ..., none.

1. Fw. Schlang, 2./Pz.Jg.Abt. z.b.V. 2 (the forerunner of 2./665), RK on 22.08.1943
2. Ogfr. Hurlebaus, 2./s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 665, RK on 23.02.1944
3. Ogfr. Waldner, 2./s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt. 665, RK on 12.08.1944

Also, Franz Waldner got the EK 1st class on 10.9.1944 (!) from XXVI. AK which listed him correctly as a member of 2./665.

If some books have to be re-written, o.k. 8-)

Oliver

Gastolli

Post by Gastolli » 09 Aug 2022 22:24

alcius wrote:
09 Aug 2022 10:24
For Kaminski, I had found an article, ...
Very interesting, thank you!

We have to note that his unit in 1945 was the schwere Heeres-Panzerjäger-Kompanie 669 (which was the former 3./s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 655), still equipped with Nashorn, serving in Schlesien, mainly in the 17. Pz.Div. sector ...

Oliver

Gastolli

Post by Gastolli » 09 Aug 2022 22:26

alcius wrote:
09 Aug 2022 11:12
I forgot to insert two aces of the Lehr
Hello,

the Stolz/Job duo is well known, but what's the source for Job's 46 tank kills? Maybe, in this case, no newsletter but a personal recollection? I think Eduard Job wrote something, after the war, or left a manuscript or so?

Oliver

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”