Help with Deutsche Heereskarte map icon

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Dunnigan

Help with Deutsche Heereskarte map icon

Post by Dunnigan » 27 Jul 2022 02:03

There is an icon on a Deutsche Heereskarte that I'm trying to figure out what it is. Does anyone know what this is?

The closest icons in the key are:
Water Well

Lighthouse

Light Beacon

It doesn't look to be any of these. The map is of the Kalach area west of Stalingrad. Specifically, from the Ost Europa 1:300k, Blatt Nr. c 50 Froloff by the village of Werchne-Budinowka (Верхнебузи́новское or Verkhnebuzinovskoe). My colleague believes its a light beacon but it doesn't make sense that it would be given that it's near a very narrow river (Liska River, a tributary of the Don River) and no other light beacons or lighthouses depicted (I found a reference to lighthouses along the Don built after the war). I suspect that it's some other feature that is not in the terrain key. But what is it? Is it a tall man-made feature?

GregSingh

Re: Help with Deutsche Heereskarte map icon

Post by GregSingh » 28 Jul 2022 03:22

It's a windmill.

BTW fragment of the map you attached is not from 1:300K C50 map, most likely 1:100K (perhaps M-38-99 map ?)
These were copies of Soviet maps.

windmill.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can get pretty damn far in life by just saying what you're going to do and then doing it.

Dunnigan

Re: Help with Deutsche Heereskarte map icon

Post by Dunnigan » 28 Jul 2022 04:32

Thank you.

For the map, the top of the map notes it as I listed, but on the bottom I see a Lageskizze overlay which is M-38-?? The "Basic Map Work" says Russian 1:100k and 1:200k.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”