LSSAH location in October-November 1941

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
stoveb

LSSAH location in October-November 1941

Post by stoveb » 25 Jul 2022 07:33

Hi there,

I am currently writing a book on the 9th Pz Pi Kp, SS-Pz Rgt 1, which was originally the 3rd Pi Kp of SS-Pi Btl 1.

During the assault from Ssambek to Rostov on Don and back again, one of the Kp members was killed by a burst of MG fire, receiving wounds in his thigh, stomach and throat.

He is listed as having died at a place which I can not find:

Assadtschikoff

He was buried there but after 02.12.1941 this location was behind enemy lines and when it was taken back by the Germans in May 1942, his grave headstone had been removed and/or flattened.

This location might be at a Lazarett of another unit, maybe 13th or 14th PD?

Does anyone have any detailed German or English maps of this area?

Thanks for any help.

GregSingh

Re: LSSAH location in October-November 1941

Post by GregSingh » 25 Jul 2022 13:40

I was only able to find one place with that spelling, had to go back to Schubert 1872 map !
Not sure what maps they were using because in 1941 both German and Soviet maps had spelling: Owtschinnikoff / Овчинников for that place. Also perhaps it is too far North to be in LSSAH area ?

Anyway it was just East of Gorskaya Porada, on the other side of Mokry Sambek river.
You can see on the map below: Асадчиковъ = Asadtchikoff

Schubert 1872.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can get pretty damn far in life by just saying what you're going to do and then doing it.

stoveb

Post by stoveb » 25 Jul 2022 14:54

Hi Greg,

Great effort, thanks. I found the NARA Roll for the 14th Pz Div and this town was on its supply route and was most probably the location of its Sanitäts unit. I think that 'my' man was wounded on the 19th/20th November during the assault on Ssultan Saly, where the 14th Pz Div were supporting from the northern flank. As the man was a Kradschützen, it is highly likely that he was sent as a messenger to the other division and met his end.

Thanks so much
Steve

2KILFA

Post by 2KILFA » 04 Sep 2022 16:12

I can send you Lage Ost for the southern sector of the Ostfront for October-November 1941 if you're interested.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”