OB West personnel strength between June 1941- June 1943

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
2KILFA

OB West personnel strength between June 1941- June 1943

Post by 2KILFA » 15 Jul 2022 09:10

I'm looking for information regarding the strength of German Army, Waffen-SS and Luftwaffe ground units in Western Europe for the given period. I have regular order of battle, number of divisions stationed, with divisional movements in and out of OB West area for this period, but the overall monthly personnel strength of it (Verpflegungsstärke, Iststärke) is more difficult to find.
There is some data available. According to Mueller-Hillebrand's Das Heer (vol. 3), on 1 July 1942 the German army in the OB West had a strength of 520,000 personnel. Similarly, in the same source it is said that on 22 June 1941, outside the Eastern Front, on other theaters of war there were a total of 594,000 personnel, which includes Finland. How this number was distributed across West, Balkans, Norway, North Africa etc. is not specified. It would be reasonable to say that the majority from this number were stationed in the OB West area, even if it was filled with second-rate units, not fit for offensive operations.
Do members have more info about the strength of OB West for the given period? It would be preferable if there were monthly reports, since the strength of OB West during this period fluctuated wildly by constant transfers of units to the Eastern Front, while in "compensation" it received combat ineffective divisions of the Eastern Front in need of refitting.

2KILFA

Re: OB West personnel strength between June 1941- June 1943

Post by 2KILFA » 23 Jul 2022 12:23

Wow, well over 1000 views and yet still no reply. It seems that the strength of OB West for this period is a mystery.

Tom Peters
Financial supporter

Post by Tom Peters » 23 Jul 2022 14:27

While I can think of some documents that describe the division/corps/army structure, I cant think of anything off the top of my head that tells of the actual numbers. I think there is a large body of HrsGp D records available. Start with T311 R12. PM me if you want me to send you an index of NARA files I made a few years ago.

Mad Dog

2KILFA

Post by 2KILFA » 26 Jul 2022 08:26

Tom Peters wrote:
23 Jul 2022 14:27
While I can think of some documents that describe the division/corps/army structure, I cant think of anything off the top of my head that tells of the actual numbers. I think there is a large body of HrsGp D records available. Start with T311 R12. PM me if you want me to send you an index of NARA files I made a few years ago.

Mad Dog
Thanks for suggestion, but I'm good. I'm not in that much of a need to dig into the documents. There are numerous diagrams available, showing the monthly strength of Heer, Waffen-SS and Luftwaffe ground units on the Eastern Front, OB West, Sudwest, Sudost for July 1943-July 1944. I was wondering that maybe similar kind of breakdown would be available for the period in question. It seems there isn't though.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”