Training of 9 SS Hohenstaufen

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Aida1

Re: Training of 9 SS Hohenstaufen

Post by Aida1 » 26 Apr 2021 19:32

'I visited the 16.company on a sunday afternoon and found lousy conditions despite the beautiful accomodations. The corridors and rooms abounded with dirt. In a storage i found full with dust and dirt machineguns, carbines and machinegun drums. The NCO on duty made a bad impression and was clearly insulted that he was disturbed by me in his rest on a sunday afternoon . The kitchen was unsavory and dirty, the cook made a lousy intolerable report. In one room which reeked of alcohol several men lay drunk with their boots and shoes on the beds.
The vehicles and motorcycles stood all over the school playground. Wastepaper was stirred around on the yard by the wind.
A sentry did not salute me because he said i was not a sentry superior. Despite my long presence at the company neither the Stabscharfuhrer nor an officer were visible. In the future i will keep a sharp eye on the 16. company, particularly the stabsscharführer and officers, they can count on that. Such conditions are unbearable and cannot be tolerated. I will still personally call the company commander into account.
7) The accomodations of the 15.company were very clean. Men and NCO's made flawless reports. The rooms and mess halls were nicely decorated and made a friendly impression. The weapon room and cantine seemed to be in good hands. The impression of the company was good.'

to be continued

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 30 Apr 2021 18:13

'8) I must request that when no duty roster change was submitted previously to the regiment, that duties start punctually according to the plan. This was not the case with 5.company. I can demand from a company commander that he can calculate how much time it takes to march from the quarters to the firing range. The company arrived in a bad march discipline after a march of around 5 km.One has to think beforehand, so that one does particularly not have to march in the midday heat.If it should absolutely be necessary then a lightening of the march has to be ordered, helmet off, collar open. In this march one could easily have put on the caps and only at the throwing of the handgrenades the helmet .
In general all units have to be lectured acording to my instructions concerning the behaviour before, during and after the march. In the 5. company a man had drunk too much water and became listless. Where is here the care of the unit commander?
I do not see why on lets stand sentries with helmet and pack.Since when do sentries stand with their pack?
Actually, the outfit of this company was bad. Most coats were badly rolled-up, the coat belts hung freely, partially the packs were constituted badly .What Stabsscharführer has this company and who concerns himself with the company before the march.
It makes no sense at all to require immediately at the first throwing of handgrenades a jump and throwing on the run. The impression of this company has not satisfied me.
9)My stay on the troop exercising ground at I batln has satisfied me very much. I saw in the lodgings and the exercises good performances and understanding for the ecucation.
The quarters of the 3. company pleased me most, above all in the building of the beds. The other companies could take an example to it.
10) And now a few remarks from the exercise reviews.
In all marches generally march in aircraft march depth, this means dividing the indivial companies with distances up to 50 m from platoon to platoon.'

to be continued

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 02 May 2021 18:33

' At Ia roads always keep one side of the street open. At smaller streets or roads 2 groups march on the right and one on the left, but then the middle part has to be kept free for the pass through and the oncoming traffic. In each group observers to the left and right as also to the front and rear have to be organised. Air lookouts at the front and rear of each company with cap and binoculars.
With the 5 cm AT guns not shoot further than maximum 400 meters, with the heavy antitank rifles at most at 100-150 meters. All units have to be carefully shown the making of tank foxholes. Above all they have to be convinced of the safety of these tank foxholes .
In the abscence of the company commander, for example at the giving of orders, generally one officer has to stay with the unit.
At all stops every unit has to secure itself from surprises. At the march and all stops the street has generaLly to be made free.
Combat outposts do not retreat in one move but move back fighting behind the main defense line.
Al other training remarks were already mentioned by me and the division commander at the closing briefing.

11)With immediate effect i order that in all units after lunch at least 45 minutes of bed rest is ordered for all men. In addition i wish that in a week where particularly a lot of duties were performed, on the following sunday the men are given the opportunity to sleep in that is, that the men for once really get a free sunday.
I wish however not that these sundays are used to sit in bars, but that these sundays are partially filled with sport, betting games, communal singing, touring cities, visiting wargraves etc..
12) To bring more variety in the duties, respectively to make the men more flexible and skilled in terrain, in the coming weeks 2-3 hours of sports have to be conducted. I refer to my instructions for the training, that besides examples from combat above all functional sport and flexibility exercises have to be emphasised.

13) A special incident induces me to point out the following. The company, platoon and group commanders are obliged to concern themselves not only on duty but also most importantly also with off duty and private matters of their men. All our men are still very young and very susceptible to moral depressions.
Therfore every company, platoon and group commander has to know the personal concerns of their men and always adress them. Especially one has to concern oneself with orphans and other men who were badly cared for at home or neglected. Therefore, men who never receive mail or packages have to be in some unobtrusive way -and here i suppose understanding and feeling of the company commander- given some little things. In no case should any man get inferiority feelings by these things or feel himself abandoned. I request the unit commanders to give special attention to these matters.'

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”