2. Fallschirmjäger-Division, April 1945 Essen

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Ebusitanus

2. Fallschirmjäger-Division, April 1945 Essen

Post by Ebusitanus » 20 Nov 2018 18:36

Hope someone might help me with my quest.
My grandfather told me years ago, before his passing, that around April 1945, he had been placed in defense of the southern bank of the Rhine-Herne canal, just north of the city of Essen in the Ruhr, and had a few firefights with US troops on the northern side of said canal.
He never gave me a unit he had been with but told me that he had been training Volksturm men as a NCO about that time.
By researching the combats in that area for April 1945 I came upon the 2. Fallschirmjäger-Division.
This unit had been fighting the 9th US Army breakthrough from Wesel on the north bank of this canal but had ended up retreating to the south side of it due to the overwhelming pressure.
Would need to know if the unit was by itself defending the canal front line or had other units attached such as Volksturm Battalions, etc. My aim is to narrow down what outfit my grandfather might have been with.
I believe they had the 79th US Infantry Division opposite them on the north side of the canal. The 17th Airborne arriving later. Anything about those April days or where I could find detailed info would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Slava2012

Re: 2. Fallschirmjäger-Division, April 1945 Essen

Post by Slava2012 » 09 Oct 2021 05:38

Recently, in my area near the city of Ananiev, the Kamarads found a German landing helmet. I dug the Internet for a long time and then the camarades from Kirovograd supported me in my research and it really turned out that the 2nd airborne division was thrown into Ukraine in 1944, it was too hard here, intense battles were going on and the Germans were constantly retreating, and in the end, the 2nd airborne division slid into my area Then, with battles, the area of ​​the city of Dubossary crossed to Moldova, so perhaps your grandfather visited us as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”