Wehrnummer question...

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Harro

Wehrnummer question...

Post by Harro » 10 May 2021 18:08

Hi all,

Something I did not find in online sources: a recruit registered with the nearest 'Wehrbezirkskommando’, the recruiting subdistrict headquarters. But was he then immediately given a Wehrnummer or only when the army actually accepted him?

GregSingh

Re: Wehrnummer question...

Post by GregSingh » 18 May 2021 11:18

I understand that upon first time registration, a Wehrpass (with a Wehrnummer) was issued, even if a person was "wehruntauglich".
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Harro

Post by Harro » 18 May 2021 13:25

I meanwhile found that a recruit "wurde für den Dienst freigegeben" (was released for duty) by the Wehrbezirkskommando and received a letter telling him that he will have to report to the nearest office of the Wehrbezirkskommando within a week. I suppose that it was then that he was given a medical examination and was deemed Wehrtauglich (fit for service) or not.
Struggling with the story of a (long deceased) veteran who claimed that in 1938, aged 17, he first tried to join his local Wehrmacht regiment and only after they tested and rejected him did he join the Leibstandarte. His Wehrnummer does have the "Fr." suffix for "Freiwilligen" but I have not found anything that suggests that one could apply for the Wehrmacht as a volunteer at 17.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 19 May 2021 00:38

but I have not found anything that suggests that one could apply for the Wehrmacht as a volunteer at 17.
I'm guessing it was officially covered in: Bestimmungen für freiwilligen Eintritt in die Wehrmacht (W. Fr. B.) vom 17. 11. 1938: D 3/2, M. Dv. Nr 895, L. Dv. 75/2 ; Nr 1-61

In Austria it was announced in mid-1938, with start from Autumn 1938.
Several conditions applied...
See full text below.

June 1938.jpg

After war started a new regulations were in place from September 7th, 1939; increasing age of Wehrmacht volunteers to 18.
(covered by: Heer - D 3/15, Marine - MDv. Nr. 914, Luftwaffe LDv 75/15)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Harro

Post by Harro » 19 May 2021 12:45

Excellent!

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”