Unit Abreviation Question!

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
martinksk88

Unit Abreviation Question!

Post by martinksk88 » 16 Apr 2020 13:53

Hello friends,

I'm new at this forum and starting to dive into German military history in ww2.

My question is, while geting familiar with unit structure and organization in german army, there are some abreviation that i can't figure it out:

(tmot) and (motZ)

I supose are from motorized units because de (mot) abreviation is already there, but what are the especific for these other two?

Thanks!

Gary Kennedy

Re: Unit Abreviation Question!

Post by Gary Kennedy » 16 Apr 2020 16:56

Welcome aboard,

tmot is straightforward, the 't' standing for teil/teile or part. It referred to a unit which possessed some motor transport or a mixture of motor and horse-drawn vehicles. So for example an Anti-tank Company (of say an Infantry Regiment) which had two Platoons of guns that were horse-drawn and two that were towed by motor vehicles could be 'tmot' (part motorised).

mot Z I must admit I had to look at a few times and will await correction on. I think it refers principally to guns that were towed by motor vehicles, with the Z standing for Zugmittel, which corresponds roughly to 'traction' and is generally seen with Artillery units. For the most part motorised artillery units would have all motor vehicles for transport anyway, but there could be instances where the guns were towed by motor vehicles but the remainder of the unit was equipped with horse-drawn transport.

Gary

martinksk88

Re: Unit Abreviation Question!

Post by martinksk88 » 17 Apr 2020 02:42

Hello Gary!! Thank you so much for your welcome and aswer.

Today i was able to find a PDF document named "German Military Abbreviations" from military intelligence service war department, and i could find at least the traduction from tmot and motZ:

mot Z: motorisierte mit Kraftzug --> tractor drawn

tmot: teilmotorisiert --> partly motorized

So thank you again for puting much more meaning to my question!

Cheers.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”