Nuremberg Christmas 1944

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
JLEES

Nuremberg Christmas 1944

Post by JLEES » 13 May 2003 00:14

I just purchased a 1944 Christmas postcard of Nuremberg. The card depicts the city in the distance with the old city with castle in the center. What I thought was most interesting about this was Nuremberg had been reduced to rubble by 1944 and someone still published an image of its architectural landscape as still intact. This seems to be an odd image to base propaganda on. Does anyone have any idea why they would do this type of depiction? Can anyone translate the writing above the city castle into English? And does anyone know when the air raid that reduced Nuremberg to rubble was made? I believe it was sometime in 1943.
James

JLEES

Nuremberg

Post by JLEES » 13 May 2003 00:32

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JLEES

Nuremberg Postcard

Post by JLEES » 13 May 2003 00:40

This is all I could scan. Even when I reduced the image size it wouldn't let me attach the entire postcard.
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

varjag
Financial supporter

Post by varjag » 13 May 2003 12:15

From about mid- 1944 the German press began to publish pictures of tranquil and peaceful locations in Germany that showed not the slightest influence of bombs and war damage. There were enough of them to tell that this was a 'campaign' to counterbalance the rising alarm amongst the population's awareness of what was happening in the cities. I can only assume that the campaign also extended to postcards like yours - and that ever inventive Dr. Goebbels was behind it all.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”