Interesting videos of WWI Anti-U-Boat Tactics

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
jluetjen

Interesting videos of WWI Anti-U-Boat Tactics

Post by jluetjen » 11 Jul 2021 20:53

I'm not sure if anyone else saw these videos that were released recently.

1) The 1928 movie "Q-Ships", which actually shows many of the tactics used by the Entente against the German U-Boats, not just Q-Ships as the title implies, was recently uploaded to YouTube. Admittedly, the U-Boat interior is obviously a set, but everything else looks fairly authentic (including the exterior shots of a couple of different U-Boats). There are actually some good views of both the search and attack periscopes, although for some reason the director liked to show them both being raised before the U-Boat submerged, which I don't think would be normal operating procedure. The actual interior of a U-Boat is far more cramped and chaotic and wouldn't have left much room for the camera and crew.
5537e619eab8ea963870cb5e.jpg
2) The second reel starts with an imagined failed U-Boat attack on Scapa Flow, which I found ironic since that is exactly what happened 11 years later when the U-47 did successfully attack Scapa Flow. After that the movie gets down to the title subject of Q-Ships and shows an actual Q-Ship, Captain and much of the crew reenacting how they attacked U-Boats.

3) Naval historographer Drachinifel released a year ago a 23 minute YouTube video covering the subject of Anti-U-Boat warfare in WWI. His videos are always interesting and entertaining.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “First World War”