High casualties on the Italian front

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Nodeo-Franvier

High casualties on the Italian front

Post by Nodeo-Franvier » 22 Dec 2020 15:59

The Austro-Hungarian were on the defensive with excellent terrain so why did she suffer as much as casualties as the attacker(Italy).

Peter89

Re: High casualties on the Italian front

Post by Peter89 » 31 Dec 2020 12:36

I've never read any source that would claim the same losses.

Even before Caporetto, the loss ratio between the main Italian army and the sideshow A-H army was 3:2, and as a total, we are talking about a 2:1 ratio.

Btw, I used to live on the Slovenian coastline, and frequently visited Triest and the nearbly areas. The War Museum for Peace in Triest is worth to visit for a pinch of alternate history!
“And while I am talking to you, mothers and fathers, I give you one more assurance. I have said this before, but I shall say it again, and again and again. Your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars." - FDR, October 1940

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 01 Jan 2021 15:14

Nodeo-Franvier wrote:
22 Dec 2020 15:59
The Austro-Hungarian were on the defensive with excellent terrain so why did she suffer as much as casualties as the attacker(Italy).
Because the war there (and on other fronts of WW I) was not like you imagine: well dug-in Austrians always defending versus attacking Italians. There were also Austrian counter-attacks and even counter-offensives to retake lost ground, during which Austrians attacked Italian machine-guns. And no - they still didn't suffer as many casualties as the attacker.

Nodeo-Franvier

Post by Nodeo-Franvier » 02 Jan 2021 12:12

Eugen Pinak wrote:
01 Jan 2021 15:14
Nodeo-Franvier wrote:
22 Dec 2020 15:59
Because the war there (and on other fronts of WW I) was not like you imagine: well dug-in Austrians always defending versus attacking Italians. There were also Austrian counter-attacks and even counter-offensives to retake lost ground, during which Austrians attacked Italian machine-guns. And no - they still didn't suffer as many casualties as the attacker.
That true,The images I have of the Italian front is similar to that of WWII battle of Okinawa and Iwojima.

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”