Errors in Private Ryan

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
jwong

Post by jwong » 20 Oct 2002 17:13

Rob S. wrote:No, the Heer prisoner would have either been shot for desertion or reassigned to another Heer unit. He would not have been re-assigned to the Waffen-SS.

Note that in the end fight scene there were no MG42's even though German squad doctrine teaches that the MG *is* the back of the infantry squad.
Actually if you watch the end of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, the Germans did use their machine guns several times.

You see the German halftrack crew firing its machine gun at Private Jackson in the bell tower.

When Upham runs down the staircase to get some more ammunition for the .30 machine gun, the disabled Tiger tank opens fire on him. Then Upham runs across the street to take cover.

And when the Americans start to retreat across the bridge, the German halftrack chase after them and its crew fire its machine gun. Captain Miller and Private Ryan shoot back, killing some Germans.

Mike R

Post by Mike R » 20 Oct 2002 18:05

Well, from checking out some of those links posted earlier, it appears that the German never 'joined' the SS at all. The SS guy you see is actually a different actor. When Upham shoots "steamboat willie" at the end, he is wearing the Wehrmacht uniform. The SS guy on the stairs is not "steamboat willie" at all.

Regards,
-Mike

paddywhack

Post by paddywhack » 21 Oct 2002 14:15

try out this site its the best on the web to do with movie mistakes(hence the name!!!!) http://www.movie-mistakes.com/film.php?filmid=1114
enjoy :D

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 21 Oct 2002 14:39

In other words: this movie is full of errors which wouldn't have been there if an advisor had been hired and they hadn't been so eager to release the film! :D

regards

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » 21 Oct 2002 22:41

I think they had advisor but IIRC that advisor was lately deceased American historian who is not too famous for his accurate portraying of WW2.

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 21 Oct 2002 22:49

VERY few of the mistakes pointed out are historical errors. I think that Ambrose did a far better job than likely any one of the members of this forum could have done. I think that the criticism of his role in the film is entirely unfounded. Remember that they are working on a limited budget. Also, there were likely issues of availability for many of the pieces of equipment. One example is "there were no Tigers near the American beaches". Well, you know what? There aren't that many Mark IVs still around and running that people wouldn't mind if you packed full of pyrotechnics and set it off. Also, I'm sure that they would've liked to have gotten real P-47s in the same paint scheme with real bomb racks to perform the last scene, but P-51 s are everywhere, and it's not too hard to find multiple aircraft that have similar markings. Get off it people. The people did such a good job that many veterans that landed at D-day couldn't continue watching it and were having flashbacks. That's almost too realistic. I think that they did a great job and US AB and Rangers did perform that well against SS in real life, so stop criticising that, too. Geez.

Logan Hartke
Last edited by Logan Hartke on 21 Oct 2002 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 21 Oct 2002 22:50

I think most of those nick picking items picked out in said link are nothing but money saving mistakes. Should you spend thousands of dollars to re-shoot a shot of them marching or just reuse one? Well the basic economics student will tell you the answer.

The problem most people have with this movie is they show the Germans as just normal troops, not some mythical warriors that could not be defeated. Because lets face it, they lost a hell of a lot more battles then they won. Most German early war victories are because of surprise and a new tactic, once everyone started using the new mobile warfare then Germany was no better then any other. And the Red Army would show them they could be bested, then of course the Americans and British and Canadians and even the French would defeat the Germans. Sure the Germans fought well, but really not that much better then their enemy.

If the Germans would have been winning then everyone would praise it as accurate. :D

Romulus

Post by Romulus » 21 Oct 2002 23:47

Caldric wrote:If the Germans would have been winning then everyone would praise it as accurate. :D
Not really, but if they had been portrayed as something other than mindless sheep. But what the hell it's hollywood so it's rare when they get things even close to right.

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 21 Oct 2002 23:50

Right on Caldric!
If you can't enjoy a movie because you are too busy picking knits.... read a goddamned book!

Sorry that American movies have too much American propaganda... most of you live in "free" countries, the world is your oyster, and you could get your hands on most anything you want - watch that. I saw plenty of errors, both physical and philosphical, but they did not keep me from being bug-eyed while watching teh landing scenes.

And as Caldric mentioned: ". Most German early war victories are because of surprise and a new tactic, once everyone started using the new mobile warfare then Germany was no better then any other" --- As a Pole I also remember their superiority in technology and material, and that is the same crying towel that they were defeated "by overwhelming superiority."

I, for one, am damned glad they lost..... even if they really did have different haircuts than in the movie.

Again - movies are entertainment - you are better off with a library card anyway!

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 21 Oct 2002 23:54

Just as a reminder, the Germans DID lose the battle for the beaches around Normandy, and, come to think of it, every other battle against the US in Europe after that with the exception of the Huertgen Forest. Also, the SS guy that stabbed Mellish and the 20mm FlaK crew were far from sheep. I'd hate to be a wolf if sheep fought like that.

Logan Hartke

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 22 Oct 2002 00:09

Logan Hartke wrote:Just as a reminder, the Germans DID lose the battle for the beaches around Normandy, and, come to think of it, every other battle against the US in Europe after that with the exception of the Huertgen Forest. Also, the SS guy that stabbed Mellish and the 20mm FlaK crew were far from sheep. I'd hate to be a wolf if sheep fought like that.

Logan Hartke
Yeah I am sorry but I did not see to many Sheep either, that was one tough SOB period. He kicked hell out of the guy then put a knife through his chest. This was the most disturbing segment in the movie for me to. Was almost like the German was saying it would be over soon, or shhhhh like you would to a baby that just woke up. Not sure what words meant he was saying, if they were words.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 22 Oct 2002 00:26

Yes, he said something like that if I were to translate it. But what on earth do you mean by saying that Hurtgen was the only german victory, Logan? Have you ever heard about Arnhem or, i.e., some of the important harbours? Further it's not always about who controls the ground in the end, one must look at other things like losses and time delay etc.

regards

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 22 Oct 2002 00:35

charlie don't surf wrote:Have you ever heard about Arnhem or, i.e., some of the important harbours?
I'm very familiar with Arnhem. The British botched that one up pretty nicely. Gave the Americans a rough go, too. Landed them piecemeal, at daylight, and on a heavily occupied area and told them to take a bridge that was far more heavily guarded than British intel said it was. I feel sorry for the Poles and the Red Devils, though.

Logan Hartke

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 22 Oct 2002 00:40

It's a bit annoying when you mix up allied with american... :wink:

regards

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 22 Oct 2002 00:44

charlie don't surf wrote:It's a bit annoying when you mix up allied with american... :wink:
I know, I could tell what you were doing. I don't accept responsibility for Monty's stupidity.

Logan Hartke

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”