The German Exploits of the North East Atlantic

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Lebendmasse

The German Exploits of the North East Atlantic

Post by Lebendmasse » 17 Aug 2002 15:36

Hey everybody, first of all I would like to say I`m new to the forum, and I find that every thread contains lots of informaion. Secondly, I`ll get on with my comment/question.

Recentlly I was watching the movie entitled ''The 49th Parallel''.If I recall correctlly, In the movie a German U-Boat docks to check out a small radio station (in Labrador?) when then an allied maratime patrol plane bombs the U-Boat leaving the Germans stranded on shore, is this movie fictional, and If so were there any other events related to this subject?

As well my grandfather passed away recentlly, and he was always telling me stories of a day when a German U-boat docked in a small out-port community on the southern shore of Newfoundland, and actually left the submarine and walked right up to the corner store to buy tooth-paste,bubble gum, and various supplies. I truely believe my grandfather,but does anyone else have any knowledge of this subject?

Linlu

Post by Linlu » 17 Aug 2002 15:43

Hey dude!
Recentlly I was watching the movie entitled ''The 49th Parallel''.If I recall correctlly, In the movie a German U-Boat docks to check out a small radio station (in Labrador?) when then an allied maratime patrol plane bombs the U-Boat leaving the Germans stranded on shore, is this movie fictional, and If so were there any other events related to this subject?

I doubt that is true. There are tons of novels and stuff about WWII, all fiction. BTW, is that movie American? If it is, just look at U-571, it's all Hollywood bs. True, the allies did get the Enigma machine, but not the americans! and surely the story wasn't as dramatic as they had portrayed it! The point of my reply: never trust anything made by Hollywood. :wink:

- Linlu :mrgreen:

Lebendmasse

Post by Lebendmasse » 17 Aug 2002 19:24

I am more interested in my grandfather`s story...but that movie is a Canadian movie...the Germans end up tracking right through Canada untill they reach the praries and hitch a train ride to niagra falls where they are caught.

christianT

Post by christianT » 18 Aug 2002 00:44

U-537 landed on the coast of Labrador and left an automatic weather monitoring station equipped with radio transmitter. More details here:
http://www.pinetreeline.org/other/other8/other8ap.html

Also, check excellent site: http://uboat.net/

-christianT

aardvark

U boats in the North Atlantic

Post by aardvark » 18 Aug 2002 01:13

The movei you saw was a bit of fiction but the Labrador weather station was real.Infact U boats moved about guite freely in the first few years of the war , they sank many ships, including some Royal Canadian Navy ships.As for your grandad's story I have never heard this one before,I have heard stories of U boats being captured and Canadian bread rappers being found on board[Ben's bread , a Nova Scotia brand] this would seem to indicate that some of the crew had been ashore and bought the bread.However, I beleive that there is no offical record of U boat crews visiting the coast or going into any town other the as prisoners. Grandad may have been telling some tall tales to you,but that is what grandads are for.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”