has anyone seen the movie ENEMY AT THE GATES

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
tonyh

Post by tonyh » 02 Dec 2002 18:16

The more I see EATG the more I like it. The love story is brutal though and it would have been better without it. Also the section where Konig hangs the Russian boy was un-necessary. It was obviously stuck in just in case you forgot who the "good guys" were. :roll: as was the obligatory holocaust reference.

The opening scene with the stukas and the infantry battle scene were quite good. But the Red Army fighting with 1 rifle between 2 men? In late 1942?

Yeah right.

The fact that the producers tried to use tanks that resembled MKIII panzers is a credit to them as well. But points are docked for that T-34/85. :x

Besides the fact that I would have made it better with a few tweeks :P it wasn't a bad film...and the two leads Law and Harris were quite good.

Tony

.....and Caldric, I agree with you about the "poetry" in the Thin red line. Nearly ruined the film for me. Another one I would have done better, given half the chance :D

DaveB

Post by DaveB » 03 Dec 2002 01:10

I liked the movie for what it was a Hollywood version of the Battle of Stalingrad. Don't get my wrong I did love the movie but for a more realistic movie I prefer Stalingrad instead.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 03 Dec 2002 02:29

.....and Caldric, I agree with you about the "poetry" in the Thin red line. Nearly ruined the film for me. Another one I would have done better, given half the chance
Well I wish you would have on that one. :)

The problem with it was everytime I started to get into the battle and the characters they popped in this silly poetry nonsense. :roll:

I seen them interview US veterens from the battle on the history channel. It was very interesting, the first thing they talked about was sticking the rifle in the groun and putting the helmet on it. The Vets stated this would have been stupid, mainly because the Japanese would be using it to shoot at you a few hours later. :D

But they did not care about all the poetry either, they did state there is nothing in the world that compares to foxhole love, but did not remember to many poets running around. :)

Romulus

Post by Romulus » 03 Dec 2002 04:02

Michael Plomer wrote:The Movie itself was good , although the end of the movie did not reflect the actual outcome that occured when the russian sniper from the Urals ( zaitzev) finally met with the german sniper.
Yeah because there was no outcome and Koenig did not exist.

Lars EP

Post by Lars EP » 03 Dec 2002 07:22

Romulus wrote:
Michael Plomer wrote:The Movie itself was good , although the end of the movie did not reflect the actual outcome that occured when the russian sniper from the Urals ( zaitzev) finally met with the german sniper.
Yeah because there was no outcome and Koenig did not exist.
Precisely. I was bored to death watching EATG. The only war-movie worse released within the last five years is Pearl Harbor.

Regards --- Lars

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 03 Dec 2002 14:04

The story of the movie "enemy at the gates" was taken from the actual book called "Enemy at the gates: Stalingrad" and although some characters were real in the movie, others were just added, and many major changes that were done to the actual history of that movie, ruined its historical view.

Sokol

Post by Sokol » 03 Dec 2002 14:42

Actually, the story of EATG is quite true. Except for the romance and the exact identity of the German sniper. What did happen was that a Russian sniper in Stalingrad was having such an effect on German morale that the Germans sent an elite sniper after him. The German sniper defeated several Russian snipers, until (and you won't believe this) he finally confronted the Russian sniper (Zeitzev) holed up with a political commissar (the guy in the movie actually did exist). The man did actually sacrifice his life so that Zeitzev could pinpoint the sniper's location. Vasilly was attributed with over 250 confirmed kills by the end of the battle. And then he was wounded by a land-mine shortly after and could no longer operate as a sniper. All this is true. But even more interesting is another Russian sniper in Staligrad, who survived the battle and went on to other battles. For the life of me I can't remember his name, but he was credited with over 350 confirmed kills in Stalingrad alone. I got this information from the Time Life series "Red Army Resurgent" book. I recommend the series to anyone interested in the Eastern Front.

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 03 Dec 2002 15:26

Komisar Danilov in real life actually came out accidentally and he was injured by the German sniper, but he didn't die, and the German sniper raised his head thinking that he had killed Zaitsev and as a result, Vassili shot the german on his forehead. But in the movie it shows that the guy "sacrificed" himself. :D

Sokol

Post by Sokol » 03 Dec 2002 15:49

Aiieee, you're right, you're right! I had a look at the book a few minutes ago. It wasn't Danilov, but another wounded man in the fox hole who was taken out by the German sniper, which allowed VZ to kill him.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 03 Dec 2002 15:56

There are no mentioning of the duel in the russian unit records, despite the fact that almost all records survived the battle and information was well written down. I think the Time Life series is basing it's story on Zaitsev's own memoars.

regards

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 03 Dec 2002 16:06

Zaitzev certainly existed, as did Tanya. And they did meet in Stalingrad and did not meet again until well after the war. Koenig is a fictional character and Charile's correct, there are no records of a "sniper duel".

Tony

Sokol

Post by Sokol » 03 Dec 2002 16:33

It might well be basing the sniper duel on VZ's own memoirs. Hmm.... However, considering the problems VZ gave the Germans in Stalingrad, I would not put it past them to send a few snipers of their own to try and 'even-the-odds'. I'm inclined to believe 'some' kind of sniper duel took place. VZ had more than enough credit to his name already. Making up a sniper duel seems pointless, does it not?

kobold

Post by kobold » 03 Dec 2002 17:36

i still dont like the way the russians all had british public school accents.

dave

BakedAlaskan

Post by BakedAlaskan » 04 Dec 2002 18:33

kobold wrote:i still dont like the way the russians all had british public school accents.

dave
Sorry,but I'm on the complete opposite on this topic.Yeah,it was a little annoying in EATG but,to me,nothing is more annoying than watching people dumb down their roles and dialogue by using fake accents.Some actors can pull it off......most can't.IMO this was what made "Conspiracy" so interesting.

PEACE
Everyone is entitled to my own opinion.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”