Saving Private Ryan - what is the German soldier saying?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Matthew

Saving Private Ryan - what is the German soldier saying?

Post by Matthew » 24 Nov 2002 07:29

What is the German soldier saying to the Jewish GI while he is stabbing him with the bayonet? Is it just a bunch of German words that don't mean anything or is he really saying something? Does anyone know?

Kurasier

Post by Kurasier » 24 Nov 2002 13:54

Hi,
If I remember correctly he says: Pssst Pssst be quiet.
Cheers
Christoph

Phil V
Financial supporter

Post by Phil V » 24 Nov 2002 14:19

Correct.

Along the lines of "be quiet, calm down, it will be over soon".

Roughly.

Dan W.
Financial supporter

Post by Dan W. » 24 Nov 2002 19:49

I have asked the question before and am told that he is saying to Pvt. Mellish to be quiet and don't resist, it will all be over soon.

And remember, this is not the same G.I. as "Steamboat Willie", the soldier who was captured and then later released. Why Spielberg used two actors who looked so much alike is beyond me..

Billy Bishop

Post by Billy Bishop » 13 Dec 2002 03:23

Jeez, I always thought it was the same guy they let go!! Are you sure about that? I mean, they look almost EXACTLY the same....

And wtf is with umpom (or whatever that guys name is), he just sat there and let his friend die! :cry:

I find the heart stabbing scene one of the most gruesome in the whole movie. Just the cracking of the ribs, the ripping of the flesh....

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 13 Dec 2002 16:34

Billy Bishop wrote:Jeez, I always thought it was the same guy they let go!! Are you sure about that? I mean, they look almost EXACTLY the same....

And wtf is with umpom (or whatever that guys name is), he just sat there and let his friend die! :cry:

I find the heart stabbing scene one of the most gruesome in the whole movie. Just the cracking of the ribs, the ripping of the flesh....
Hahah, man its funny cuz u said its Umpom but his name is Upham, anyways the guy never saw much action and never killed anyone since he was behind a desk translating, rather than the front lines.

Billy Bishop

Post by Billy Bishop » 15 Dec 2002 19:10

Korbius wrote:
Billy Bishop wrote:Jeez, I always thought it was the same guy they let go!! Are you sure about that? I mean, they look almost EXACTLY the same....

Hahah, man its funny cuz u said its Umpom but his name is Upham, anyways the guy never saw much action and never killed anyone since he was behind a desk translating, rather than the front lines.
lol, yah, no one I know in Canada is named Upham :p I was close though! :) I remember now, but I wonder if he ever learned what FUBAR means....

T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 15 Dec 2002 20:20

Ironically steamboat willie was the one who shot Capt. Miller(Hanks) the very man who saved him from execution.

The man who stabbed Mellish was in a W-SS uniform where as steamboat willie was in the Heer.

btw what does FUBAR mean? :lol:

Billy Bishop

Post by Billy Bishop » 15 Dec 2002 20:57

T.R.Searle wrote:Ironically steamboat willie was the one who shot Capt. Miller(Hanks) the very man who saved him from execution.

The man who stabbed Mellish was in a W-SS uniform where as steamboat willie was in the Heer.

btw what does FUBAR mean? :lol:
Heh, you still don't know? Or are you just pullin' my leg....? :p

Romulus

Post by Romulus » 16 Dec 2002 04:56

T.R.Searle wrote:Ironically steamboat willie was the one who shot Capt. Miller(Hanks) the very man who saved him from execution.
That taught him a lesson

Lasse

Post by Lasse » 17 Dec 2002 07:21

some one asked what fubar was: fucked up beyond all recognition

Lipfert

Post by Lipfert » 17 Dec 2002 12:24

That taught him a lesson
What lesson? That all the prisoners should be always killed? Let's try another POW. What was Steamboat Willie supposed to go when released, if he walked and ended up to his own troops? Should he have told , that I was captured and given mercy so I quit fighting? Do you know what happens to a guy that says so in Wehrmacht? So he had a rifle and he was fighting. I doubt that he ever recognized Tom Hanks when he shot him, but then... what if he did in the middle of fighting? Had he any choice?
SPR is a Hollywood movie. I have often thought that what if they had showed an American prisoner pleading mercy from his captors? Could that kind of scene be possible? I doubt it.

morot

Post by morot » 17 Dec 2002 12:52

Billy Bishop wrote: (...) I remember now, but I wonder if he ever learned what FUBAR means....
Yes he did, when they were in that plane that had crashed, with the dead general..

Schmauser

Post by Schmauser » 17 Dec 2002 13:57

morot wrote:
Billy Bishop wrote: (...) I remember now, but I wonder if he ever learned what FUBAR means....
Yes he did, when they were in that plane that had crashed, with the dead general..
no, Mellish told him what it meant just before the final battle :roll:

~Regards Schmauser

morot

Post by morot » 17 Dec 2002 18:40

next time i'll watch the movie again before i say something :)

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”