Another ID from my Personal Collection

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
aussie jason

Post by aussie jason » 10 Aug 2004 17:26

Thanks for sharing!!! you seem to have many exellent documents and im looking forward to seeing more in the future :wink:
Kindest Regards
Jason

bds bill

Post by bds bill » 11 Aug 2004 01:07

Hi All,

More ID's for show and tell! Here's an extremely rare piece, again from my personal collection, a Kommandobuch from the Volksdeutsche Mittelstelle, the office responsible for registration and "resettlement" and transfer of ethnic German minorities in the occupied territories. This office and it's activities are mentioned in threads on this forum that treat the issue of land reclamation claims against Poland by ethnic Germans that were expelled at the end of the War. While ostensibly a Party office, Himmler got control of it by the judicious placement of personnel in key positions.

An excellent reference is "Himmler's Auxiliaries: the Volksdetusche Mittelstelle and the German National Minorities of Europe 1933-1945" by Valdis O. Lumans (University of North Carolina Press, 1993).

THis Kommandobuch belonged to an SS Schütze assigned to the VoMi, as it was called. As an added bonus, his orange oilcloth VoMi photo Ausweis was stapled inside the front cover of the Kommandobuch. Enjoy!

Bill
billb :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bds bill

Post by bds bill » 11 Aug 2004 01:12

Here are a couple of additional pictures from the VoMi Kommandobuch.

billb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bds bill

Post by bds bill » 16 Aug 2004 23:35

Hi All,

Here's the next ID from my personal collection, again, extremely rare. This Ausweis was issued to a Zellenleiter by the Leader of the NSDAP Working Group in Holland in 1942. It authorized him to pack a 6.35 mm handgun as well! Any info about this working group would be greatly appreciated. Your comments and observations are eagerly anticipated. Enjoy!

Bill

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 17 Aug 2004 14:12

Bill, the last two examples have been marvelous. Have you been able to find anything out concerning the organization of the VoMi Kommando in the occupied territories of Russia? Were they concentrated in the the north or what? Did this group work in league with the EWZ?

The foreign service NSDAP PL Ausweis is also fascinating. Who was the Leiter of the Dutch Work Area? Can you make out the signature? Was this group under the control of Ley or part of the AO?

bds bill

Post by bds bill » 18 Aug 2004 17:38

Hi Joe,

Many thanks for posting your note. The VoMi was active whereever there were ethnic German minorities, registering them in Poland, western Russia, Galicia, Rumania, Hungary, and the Baltics,among other places. The EWZ was an integral part of the VoMi. The best and only reference I've found to date is "Himmler's Auxiliaries: the Volksdetusche Mittelstelle and the German National Minorities of Europe 1933-1945" by Valdis O. Lumans (University of North Carolina Press, 1993). This is well researched and documented and chronicles in detail the history and activities of the VoMi.

I know next to nothing about the Party Working Group in Holland and am hoping that someone who views the Ausweis will be able to provide some information about its history and activities. I believe the signature you asked about is Schmidt. Thanks again!

Best,
Bill

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 19 Aug 2004 05:13

In the organization chart of the Ausland Organisation/NSDAP found in the 1943 NSDAP Jahrbuch, there was a Hauptamt for the DAF. Inasmuch as your Ausweis is for a Zellenleiter, a Political Leader, within the DAF in a foreign country, I would presume he was also part of the AO. I will see if I can find some cross-references to this.

bds bill

Post by bds bill » 19 Aug 2004 12:27

I'll appreciate any information about this working gourp that anyone can provide. Thanks, Joe!

Bill

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 19 Aug 2004 22:16

Bill, I am afraid I got this backasswards. The Arbeitsbereich der NSDAP in den Niederlanden had nothing to do with the DAF or the AO. I found the listing in the 1943 NSDAP Jahrbuch, listed under the Gliederungen d. NSDAP, like the SS, SA, and so forth. The word Arbeitsbereich is defined in the 1944 War Department list of words and abbreviations as a noun meaning the Scope or Extent (of an administration). Thus the Arbeitsbereich d. NSDAP in Niederlanden would be the Department Responsible for NSDAP Affairs in the Netherlands. The address of the offices of the Arbeitsbereich was Andreis-Bicker-Weg 6, Den Haag. As the Arbeitsbereich was not listed in the 1941 Jarhbuch, I would surmise it was created after that date. There were similar departments in the General Government and in the East (Lohse's domain). Hope this provides some background for your Ausweis and a possible direction for future inquiry.

bds bill

Post by bds bill » 20 Aug 2004 01:06

Hi Joe,

Many thanks! A good start indeed!

Bill

bds bill

Post by bds bill » 28 Aug 2004 02:35

Yet another rare and interesting Ausweis from my personal collection: a provisional Ausweis issued by the Gau Danzig-West Prussia Women's Leadership organization to a leader (Leiterin) of the NS-Frauenschaft and Deutschen Frauenwerks. The holder was named Dorothea Roemer, a resident of Danzig, who worked as a technical expert in the Press and Propaganda Section of the Gau administration. It was issued on August 3, 1942 and contains Roemer's photo as well as ink stamps and hand signatures from Roemer and the Gaufrauenschaftsleiter. I'd really like to see some other members posting examples of ID's from their own collections on this thread that might prove interesting to the rest of us! Any takers? Thanks for looking!

Bill

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 28 Aug 2004 17:11

Very interesting document, Bill! Very different from, and a cut above, the regular national NS-Frauenschaft membership cards. And interesting that it's signed by the (female) Leiterin of the Gau organization, rather than having a facsimile of Gertrud Scholtz-Klink's signature as on the national Ausweise. Thanks for posting it!

~FV

bds bill

Post by bds bill » 05 Sep 2004 13:46

Here's a related NSV grouping that has to do with the "Kinderverschickung" program. Enjoy!

Billb

Bill

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 05 Sep 2004 16:13

Fascinating documents, Bill! You read often about a similar evacuation plan for British children during the Blitz, but less about the German program. The first major German evacuations began in September 1939, with an estimated two and a half million children being evacuated from cities during the course of the war. Do you think the documents from 1937 and 1938 were for "practice runs," or for a different sort of program for taking urban kids into the country for holiday?

~FV

bds bill

Post by bds bill » 05 Sep 2004 19:47

Hi FV,

Thanks for the comments. The pre-war program was designed primarily to expose urban kids to the benefits of "life in the country" and to improve health and outlook among the next generation of the the urban poor. It was all tied up with the "Blut und Boden" philosophy and the notion of "Volksgesundheit". Some were sent to homes, others to agricultural estates. I did a search on the net to try to find something in English without any luck; perhaps someone else can steer you to a site with further information. Thanks for looking!

Bill

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”