How to preserve documents.

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Mannheim

How to preserve documents.

Post by Mannheim » 08 Apr 2020 07:33

Some years ago I was gifted a pile of documents from a woman who had worked in Germany during the war. She was Estonian and she gave me virtually her entire personal documentation from the period including a document from a British administrator identifying her as Estonian and declaring that she was not to be repatriated to the Soviet Union. Interesting stuff! However, I noticed today that her Arbeitsbuch was starting to deteriorate down the spine (see photo). What is the best way to preserve documents so they don't fall apart?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hucks216

Re: How to preserve documents.

Post by hucks216 » 08 Apr 2020 09:42

Basically put them in acid free sleeves and don't handle them, or handle them as little as possible. What I do with the Soldbücher & Wehrpässe I collect is to scan the pages and keep the images in a file on my PC and then the actual item goes in to a storage folder. If I need to look at something at some point down the line then I can look at the scans instead of the actual item.
This is a UK based collection storage company which might not be any good for you considering where you live (they might export but I don't know to be honest) but I'm sure you can find something similar where you are.

www.arrowfile.com

Storage (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mannheim

Re: How to preserve documents.

Post by Mannheim » 09 Apr 2020 23:39

Thanks, hucks216, looks good. I'll get in contact with the company.

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”