SS Hand stamps- Real or Fake?

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
james127

SS Hand stamps- Real or Fake?

Post by james127 » 21 Jun 2015 02:32

I recently purchased a few items at an auction through Regency Superior. Although I didn't purchase it, there were a few selections of SS hand stamps that went up for auction. There is another collector who is trying to sell his own SS hand stamp. When I referred him to this auction and what those sold for, he said that they fakes. Not only that, but that they were bad fakes and that didn't think the one with the skull even existed in WWII.

Here is the link to the items in question: http://www.regencystamps.com/LotDetail. ... yid=346811

He also had a concentration camp beret for some big money and told me that the one through Regency was a fake as well. Here is the link to that one: http://www.regencystamps.com/LotDetail. ... yid=347650

I thought that I'd get some feedback. Do these look good or are they fishy?

Thanks!

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: SS Hand stamps- Real or Fake?

Post by John G. » 21 Jun 2015 11:25

:welcome:
The "hand stamps", KZ cap, and several other listed items are fakes/fantasy items.... I wouldn't buy "coffee" from that auction and since you had to even ask...I'd do alot of research before buying from them (or anyone)... looks like a "sea of crap".... and you need to learn before "you burn"...

Terrible crap....
John G.

PS- To be fair:
the KZ hat is probably a "movie prop" version... to be even considered, you'd have to have many photos to see its construction & marking... but since everything I checked in that auction was bad (4 or 5 items) ... I "just know" it's a fake one!

james127

Post by james127 » 21 Jun 2015 12:56

Oh man. Well, fortunately, I didn't buy either one of those. That's disappointing for the poor guy who did though.

Just so that I can educate myself, what was it about the hand stamps that threw a red flag?

John G.

Post by John G. » 22 Jun 2015 01:30

The one with the skull design is totally fantasy.... a design never made durning the period... so obviously crap... the other one is more a proper type, but since the handle, etc. is the same as the "fake"... it obviously also is garbage...

As I said, everthing (4 or 5 items besides the "stampers") I looked at was also horrible fake or fantasy items...(listed as real).... I would "delete" that auction site ...

The handles are probably "period European style"... but the stamper parts are current Eastern European crap... as was the other repro./fantasy items they had listed...
John G.

4thskorpion

Post by 4thskorpion » 24 Jun 2015 08:02

John G. wrote::welcome:
The "hand stamps", KZ cap, and several other listed items are fakes/fantasy items.... I wouldn't buy "coffee" from that auction and since you had to even ask...I'd do alot of research before buying from them (or anyone)... looks like a "sea of crap".... and you need to learn before "you burn"...

Terrible crap....
John G.

PS- To be fair:
the KZ hat is probably a "movie prop" version... to be even considered, you'd have to have many photos to see its construction & marking... but since everything I checked in that auction was bad (4 or 5 items) ... I "just know" it's a fake one!
100% correct assessment on all counts!

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 24 Jun 2015 09:01

Has anyone actually seen genuine stamp with "Waffen SS" text on it?
I would think it's too generic to be on the stamp.
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

John G.

Post by John G. » 24 Jun 2015 10:57

Of course there were original stamps with Waffen SS (or "W-SS") as part of the text... but obvious originals are very rare... most fakes are based on period designs (not all)... and wouldn't be something most "grunts" would have brought home....they wanted Lugers and daggers mostly!

I've seen many Stamps over the years I believed were vintage.... but like "rings", just too easy to reproduce for "my money"...
John G.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 25 Jun 2015 18:25

An antique dealer I know in Poland sells hand stamps just like these - identical - he sells them as repros at about 25 euro each.

Aurelianus

Post by Aurelianus » 02 Feb 2018 23:29

What do you think about this stamp from SS Panzerdivision? Real or fake?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 04 Feb 2018 02:20

No sorry, it's fake.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”