Need help identifying ww2 German Theodolite

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Busits

Need help identifying ww2 German Theodolite

Post by Busits » 08 Nov 2021 20:47

hello, Newbie here. Big thanx in advance.

Stumbled on to this one. Long story short was found in a presumed ww2 German artillery spotting position on a mountain top, highest ground in the region. And now I'm irritated that I can't find any, and I mean absolutely any, information about it.

So now I'm basically begging for some kind of info about it, pictures would be awesome.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hans1906

Re: Need help identifying ww2 German Theodolite

Post by Hans1906 » 10 Nov 2021 17:38

Busits, :welcome:

the German language designation is "Nivelliergerät": https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nivelliergerät

Another Internet search for the keywords "Nivelliergerät Wehrmacht" is very certainly helpful for your request...

Unfortunately, that's all I can contribute to this topic, sorry.

Btw. Interesting find, the rusted battery box (?) speaks volumes...

Hans
„Im Leben gibt’s die Bösen und die Guten. Und die dazwischen, das sind die Bagaluten.“

Busits

Post by Busits » 10 Nov 2021 19:41

Much appreciated Hans. would post some emoji too, but can't find those just yet. :D

About the battery box, I think that's a transport container with built in (the top part of the container, made out of aluminium) flat surface podium, used instead of usual tripod legs. It certainly fits like a glove into it.

Now, after finding it, the lack of information given in web environment, my thoughts are that this one might be rare in use at its thinnest.

ewest89

Post by ewest89 » 12 Nov 2021 21:07

ewest89

Post by ewest89 » 13 Nov 2021 21:22

I have decided that this device is not a theodolite. It carries the manufacturer's code blc which stands for Carl Zeiss, a maker of precision optical equipment. It is most likely a device used for signalling.

Busits

Post by Busits » 14 Nov 2021 20:35

Thanks ewest89. Im in doubts for this being a signalling device. The presence of the binoculars and Nadelverb shows the meaning of looking thru. Also those wires in combination with big "outlet eyes" I think means its meant for looking thru in the night. A sort of IR device in combination with precise measures and leveling bubble in the base of this device.

The site you gave by any means could be the clue in the way of finding more about the device. Much appreciated.

Busits

Post by Busits » 14 Nov 2021 20:40

Ive come across this book, a page to be exact. Its out of a Wehrmacht precision device some sort of dictionary and the one in the illustration is very similar to the one I have.

Busits

Post by Busits » 14 Nov 2021 20:42

The one on the right. Its a screenshot of a page, as the book is nowhere to be found in the web.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Equipment”