leather uniforms for tank crews

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Cult Icon

leather uniforms for tank crews

Post by Cult Icon » 23 Mar 2021 15:50

Was this considered by various armies in WW2?

When a tank is knocked out and on fire, the crew members have more protection from the flames. This should prevent casualties and total loss of personnel.

gloves, pants, shirt, and facemask/headgear

Sheldrake

Re: leather uniforms for tank crews

Post by Sheldrake » 23 Mar 2021 17:22

If you are trapped in a tank which brews up when the propellant or petrol tank catches fire, leather is not going to save you. Navies use anti flash hoods to protect the crewman's face. But I would not like to wear one in an AFV.

Leather helmets and gloves make sense. Leather jackets look cool. Some SS men helped themselves to Italian (?) submarine service leather jackets as shown in lots of photos from 1944. Leather trousers? Maybe only Bavarians in lederhosen... of are are we in the land of Girls und Panzer?

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 24 Mar 2021 01:56

Sheldrake wrote:
23 Mar 2021 17:22
If you are trapped in a tank which brews up when the propellant or petrol tank catches fire, leather is not going to save you. Navies use anti flash hoods to protect the crewman's face. But I would not like to wear one in an AFV.

Leather helmets and gloves make sense. Leather jackets look cool. Some SS men helped themselves to Italian (?) submarine service leather jackets as shown in lots of photos from 1944. Leather trousers?
Recently I read Bernage/Cazenave's books on the 12 SS and there are a lot of detailed personal accounts from a group of 12 SS tankers. A typical feature of these accounts are PTSD style recounting of severe burns and injuries. Hands, head, and face were frequently burned. Many tankers died from their burns. Also remarked on was the protective qualities of leather, and attributing it to saving lives/preventing more serious injuries.

SS- Panzer regiment 12 tankers wore leather trousers. :

From this it would make sense to have some sort of full body protective gear to be put on before combat. Granted one could not wear this all the time particularly in the heat of summer.

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 24 Mar 2021 13:38

Presumed private purchase for service in the tank force, or assault artillery, that's all I know. ?

The internet is full of such pictures, the cult of the black leather jacket is reflected in all these pictures...

Hans1906
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
„Im Leben gibt’s die Bösen und die Guten. Und die dazwischen, das sind die Bagaluten.“

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 30 Mar 2021 20:31

The photograph I posted before:

https://ww2db.com/images/other_hitleryouth13.jpg

Thanks for the image of the leather conversion. I have never seen such a thing. More common was the conversion of camouflaged cloth.

Return to “Other Equipment”