German infantry transports

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Avalancheon

German infantry transports

Post by Avalancheon » 18 Feb 2020 07:53

Does anyone know what kind of trucks were used to transport the infantry soldiers of a panzer or panzergrenadier division? What models of truck were most commonly used for this purpose?

The Germans utilized a huge variety of trucks that were all of different makes and models. I specifically want to find out what kinds were used to transport infantry. From what I heard, the Krupp Protze truck was quite common during 1939-1941.

Avalancheon

Re: German infantry transports

Post by Avalancheon » 22 Feb 2020 19:48

Hmm, I guess nobody knows...

Alanmccoubrey
Financial supporter

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 23 Feb 2020 20:24

Avalancheon wrote:
22 Feb 2020 19:48
Hmm, I guess nobody knows...
The question is far too general to get a definitive answer. For example what date period are you asking about ? There were many divisions and they all had different vehicles at different times. Also remember that that they didn't just use trucks as troop transports, they also used heavy cars and armoured personnel carriers. Further not all of the vehicles used were of German manufacture, they used vehicles made by most countries that they occupied or fought against.
Alan

Avalancheon

Post by Avalancheon » 23 Feb 2020 22:15

Alanmccoubrey wrote:
23 Feb 2020 20:24
The question is far too general to get a definitive answer. For example what date period are you asking about ? There were many divisions and they all had different vehicles at different times. Also remember that that they didn't just use trucks as troop transports, they also used heavy cars and armoured personnel carriers. Further not all of the vehicles used were of German manufacture, they used vehicles made by most countries that they occupied or fought against.
I did provide details in the OP, though. I stated that I was interested in learning 'what kind of trucks were used to transport the infantry soldiers of a panzer or panzergrenadier division.'

I'm aware that the Germans used motor vehicles that were built in different countries. As for the time period in question, I was specifically thinking of 1941, during operation Barbarossa.

Alanmccoubrey
Financial supporter

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 25 Feb 2020 09:24

I don't know what you mean by OP so I can't help you there and you didn't help yourself when you call them Panzergrenadiers and then clarify to Barbarossa. There were no Panzergrenadiers in Barbarossa just motorised infantry/rifle regiments. But since you have opted for 1941 then a very wide answer is, vehicles such as the Horch 108, Steyr 640, Ford from 1.5tonne to 3 tonne, Krupp Boxer and Opel Blitz are seen in photographs of the operation while older German made trucks in the range 1.5 tonne to 3 tonne were also used.
Alan

ewir54.69

Post by ewir54.69 » 21 Dec 2021 22:23

Hi!
Renault trucks were used in the 3rd Infanterie Division (Moto) in one of the regiments.

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 24 Dec 2021 14:53

Generally speaking, the motorized infantry of the armored divisions was transported in light (2-ton/1.5-ton) all-wheel-drive trucks (Mannschafts-Kraftwagen, Kfz. 70), mostly:
  s. Einheits-PKW
  Krupp L2H-43, L2H-143
  Mercedez-Benz L1500A
French and Czech cross-country capable vehicles were also issued. Usually a whole division received one nationality motor vehicle (trucks, field cars, specialized vehicles, motorcycles) to lighten the logistics load. Since specialized foreign vehicles were not always available, these tended to be German (unarmored halftracks, signals vehicles, etc.), resulting in an even more hodge-podge array of motor vehicles.

The motorized infantry of the motorized infantry divisions was transported in medium (3-ton) "militarized" commercial (i.e. not designed for cross-country use) trucks .
For example, German models were:
  Borgward — B3000S, B3000A
  Daimler-Benz — L3000, L3000S, L3000A
  Ford — G21T; V3000, V3000S
  KHD (Magirus) — 3000S, 3000A
  MAN — E2; E3000
  Opel — Blitz 3,6-36S, Blitz 6700A
Although attempts were made to standardize specific types of trucks to units, this was not always possible even with German vehicles, and several different vehicle types and makes could exist within a unit.

Foreign manufactured trucks consisted of a plethora makes and models — in 1941 mostly French and Czechoslovakian — but also including captured Dutch, British, etc. vehicles. To list all of these would be an enormous task, and, in some cases only a few of a specific type were actually used. Not my interest. :wink:
--
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces

Return to “Other Equipment”