New Fokker DXXI in Netherlands

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Le Page

New Fokker DXXI in Netherlands

Post by Le Page » 11 Dec 2020 20:08

I wanted to share a recent update on a Fokker DXXI that is being mostly scratch-built (using original drawings and some original parts), in the Netherlands. It will have a Wright-Cyclone engine.

Members of this forum are likely familiar with those in Finnish service; lesser-known are the ones which served in the Dutch army's Aviation Brigade. The one surviving example is in a museum in Finland.

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restora ... -2020.html

gebhk

Re: New Fokker DXXI in Netherlands

Post by gebhk » 12 Dec 2020 11:05

I am always pleased to see such efforts. They add immensely to our understanding of history. In recent years there seems to have been a veritable explosion of this type of activity. It is perhaps a q1uirk of human nature that it takes for the generation that actually used the equipment to die out before the realisation sets in that preserving it for posterity might be a good thing....

My very best wishes for the success of this venture.

Le Page

Post by Le Page » 03 Jul 2021 19:12

There is a very short bit in this film which offers a glimpse of a G1 in the background (link starts at time indicated). It seems to me that the scene(s) in question is post-war, as Wilhelmina is decorating the Aviation Brigade (with, I guess, the Willems-Orde). Could a Dutch speaker confirm this? If so, there was at least one G1 that survived the war in the Netherlands, although I wonder if it's one of the ones built for the Germans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZkzThBElU&t=1m38s

ROLAND1369

Post by ROLAND1369 » 04 Jul 2021 01:12

Sorry to disappoint you but the twin engined aircraft in the background is not a Dutch G 1 but a Beech AT 11 Kansan bomber trainer. Based on the us uniforms of the troops the award ceremony was probably taken at a US pilot training facility.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ROLAND1369

Post by ROLAND1369 » 04 Jul 2021 01:23

Additionally if you look closely you will note that the aircraft in the film ceremony has only 2 blades while the G 1 was equipped with 3 bladed props.

Le Page

Post by Le Page » 04 Jul 2021 17:33

Yeah I was just going to post that it was a Beechcraft after coincidentally seeing this plane in a video with Prince Bernhard.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”