Bhutan and Sikkim?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
mihu

Bhutan and Sikkim?

Post by mihu » 19 Mar 2020 19:49

I am aware of Nepal's contribution to the Allied war effort (e.g. Gurkha troops), but what about Bhutan and Sikkim? Both were also vassals of the British Empire, and yet I haven't seen much mention of them being involved in WW2, even through something like a symbolic declaration of war. Did either state participate in any manner in the Second World War, either directly or indirectly? Or did they essentially remain neutral throughout?

mihu

Re: Bhutan and Sikkim?

Post by mihu » 20 Mar 2020 21:50

This is the only info I've managed to find. No idea how true it is, considering it's wikipedia:

"Although Bhutan was under British suzerainty, it remained independent; and under the reign of Jigme Wangchuck the kingdom continued to maintain almost complete isolation from the outside world with only limited relations with the British Raj in India. Despite his policy of neutrality, upon the outbreak of the war the king sent the government of India a gift of 100,000 rupees as a gesture of friendship."
World War II by country: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War ... try#Bhutan

Manchukuo_1940

Post by Manchukuo_1940 » 18 Apr 2020 11:49

Bhutan didn't really have a notable role in any war except for when it fought against the british and humiliated them at multiple battles before finally giving up, sikkim though may have had a small contingent of indian forces that served. The only relevant thing about Bhutan is that if japan ever occupied it they would probably act the same as they did to the manchus, which is good.
Ugyen

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 24 Apr 2020 20:12

Hi Manchukuo-1940,

Please, do tell us more about how Bhutan "fought against the British and humiliated them at multiple battles.....".

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”