Greek Monasteries on Meteora

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
ArmchairSamurai

Greek Monasteries on Meteora

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 17 Mar 2020 00:17

Hello all.

I am most intrigued by forgotten, or little known stories involving certain architectural sites across occupied Europe during the war; one of my favorites being the German use of Mont-Saint-Michel. So, that being said, I came across the famous Meteora Monasteries quite by accident and found a little blurb about how they were bombed by the Germans, then looted of "art treasures". I have tried to find any elaboration on this story, but come up empty-handed. Most articles on the matter either are verbatim to the previous article or are some variation of the same words--with little to no new information attached. Just that they were bombed and looted. Does anybody know the full story--perhaps Andartiko? Are there any books on Greece during the war that someone would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
There are three sorts of people; those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”