HMS Woodcock and Woodlark-January 1927

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
jerryasher

HMS Woodcock and Woodlark-January 1927

Post by jerryasher » 07 Apr 2020 03:18

I am trying to pin down a table of movement for these two ships that served on the Middle and Lower Yangzi River. I have at the start of the year Woodcock at Changsha and Woodlark at Hankow (Wuhan). The Woodlark is often cited as being present at the Hankow incident from the 3rd to the 5th. However, after January 10th she is cited as being part of the evacuation of Changsha (January 9-13th). Did the names get mixed up and then just repeated over and over? If Woodcock was at Changsha: then she ought to be been part of the January 9th-13th evacuation. In addition, according to a Royal Navy citation, the chief engineering officer of the Woodcock died by drowning on the 13th. This suggests to me, she was part of the Changsha move and the generally American account, Yangtze Patrol by Tolley, simply was a mix up of names. If anyone can assist me in pinning down the movement of these ships it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”