British India Army and the Shanghai Defense Force

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
jerryasher

British India Army and the Shanghai Defense Force

Post by jerryasher » 02 Feb 2020 22:29

During the week of January 17th through 24th, the Cabinet in London sought and received the cooperation of the British Indian Army do the extant that the 20th Brigade (Jahassi Brigade?) was to be included in the Shanghai Defense Force. I am trying to understand the timeline and process for the cooperation. By the 19th, the four battalions of the Brigade are being recalled to barracks and according to the news the Takliwa and Sirdhanna chartered for transport. Were the Vasna, Rhona and Calchas also chartered. I have the Rajula being involved with medical teams and supplies much later. I have Vasna and Takliwa departing Mumbai on January 27th and Sirdhanna on the 31st. What was the process? Cabinet to Colonial Office to Governor General India to Commanding Officer British-India Army? British battalions are 2nd Glouchester, and 2nd Durham and the Indian battalions as the 4th Bn/ 1st Regiment and 3rd Bn of the 14th Regiment. Any sharing would be much appreciated.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”