Info on French Navy Vought V-156F

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
Robert Hurst

Info on French Navy Vought V-156F

Post by Robert Hurst » 10 Jul 2004 10:23

Hi

Prior to WWII the French Navy ordered 40 V-156F (USN SB2U Vindicator)scout/dive-bombers from the USA. Of the 40 aircraft 24 had been delivered by the time the Germans attacked in May 1940. These 24 aircraft formed the equipment of two squadrons, one of which was wiped-out on the first day of the battle. The survivors continued fighting along the channel coast and then further south before the capitulation. The remainder of the French order being transferred to the British. who had ordered 50 similar aircraft designated V-156B1 by the American manufacturer, and Chesapeake Mk.1 by the Royal Navy.

What I would like to know is what happened to the surviving French aircraft, and whether any of them were taken over and used by the Luftwaffe. The reason why I would like to know this is because, I have read in various books and other material were it had been reported that these aircraft were used to carry out bombing attacks by the Luftwaffe during the early stages of the Battle of Britain against British coastal towns such as Deal and Dover.

Any information with regard to this would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Bob

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 10 Jul 2004 20:03

* 13x Vought 156F from the Escadrille AB1 were based in Hyères (commander : Lieutenant de Vaisseau Mesny)
* 12x Vought 156F from the Escadrille AB3 were based in Alprech (commander : Lieutenant de Vaisseau Pierret)

I don't have the answers you need but here is just a photo of a captured French Vindicator and one in French service ... don't know anymore from where it is :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 10 Jul 2004 21:05

Before the Vindicator, a few Curtiss SBC-4 Helldiver had been used in the French fleet air arm :

David

Patrice

Post by Patrice » 10 Jul 2004 21:25

Hello.
A link abot the Vindicator in French use http://www.vought.com/heritage/products ... 156-f.html
but nothing on the use of this planes by the Luftwaffe .
Patrice.

Return to “France 1919-1945”