Was there any realistic way for Poland to have a monarchy after WWI if the Entente/Allies win WWI?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
wm

Re: Was there any realistic way for Poland to have a monarchy after WWI if the Entente/Allies win WWI?

Post by wm » 03 Oct 2020 23:14

My source says they were comparable in 1914.

Futurist

Re: Was there any realistic way for Poland to have a monarchy after WWI if the Entente/Allies win WWI?

Post by Futurist » 04 Oct 2020 00:28

What source is that?

wm

Post by wm » 04 Oct 2020 09:41

Maddison Project Database from the University of Groningen.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 04 Oct 2020 11:18

Pardon my confusion, but I thought we were talking about industrial advancement (ie that France was the most industrially advanced country in Euirope)? If so I am not sure GDP is the most useful measure. After all you can get very rich by controlling essential resources and flogging them to the highest bidder without any industrialisation whatsoever.

The amount of people employed in industry (as opposed to, say, agriculture) is some measure - but here the UK beats France hands down. In terms of output, Britain produced something like a quarter of the worlds industrially manufactured goods even in my lifetime, in 1920 I suspect this was higher still. I doubt that France was in that league. Of course the sheer volume of production does not mean you are 'advanced' - you can churn out vast quantities of inferior same-old, same old. I think some measure of leadership in technical innovation is also required. And, taken as a whole, Britain beats not just France but, remarkably, the rest of the world put together according to some estimations. I doubt that this leadership in innovation was achieved just in the last 100 years, probably the reverse. So again, I have great doubt that the 50% agricultural France was leading in this area in the 1920s either.......

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 10 Oct 2020 04:52

wm wrote:
04 Oct 2020 09:41
Maddison Project Database from the University of Groningen.
That's GDP data, no? We're talking about industrialization data here.

wm

Post by wm » 01 Nov 2020 15:09

You could get rich by selling potatoes but even more rich by selling advanced products. You won't find many rich agricultural countries.

The French were leading inventors and weapons manufacturers (but not only) at the end of the nineteenth century and later. Almost all the best military inventions of that period were theirs.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 01 Nov 2020 19:05

You could get rich by selling potatoes but even more rich by selling advanced products. You won't find many rich agricultural countries.
The per capita GDP of Luxembourg is 2.7x that of Japan. Just sayin :D

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 01 Nov 2020 20:33

gebhk wrote:
04 Oct 2020 11:18
... And, taken as a whole, Britain beats not just France but, remarkably, the rest of the world put together according to some estimations. I doubt that this leadership in innovation was achieved just in the last 100 years, probably the reverse. ....
Back in the day I had a couple history professors remark how Britons centralized banking system was a major, perhaps decisive, factor in this. Since then others have expressed the same opinion. Any ideas on how important this was for Britons development?

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 01 Nov 2020 21:02

Hi Carl
That's one for historians and economists I'm afraid :D

I suspect it was a combination of factors that came together and it is always tempting to see cause and effect when there is any relationship.

Mind you, when I banged the word 'first' into Google in Polish, the predictive text came up with 'first love'. In English it was 'First Direct' - a bank!

Sorry I can't be any more helpful than that. :oops:

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 09 Nov 2020 00:59

gebhk wrote:
01 Nov 2020 21:02
Hi Carl
That's one for historians and economists I'm afraid :D

I suspect it was a combination of factors that came together and it is always tempting to see cause and effect when there is any relationship.

Mind you, when I banged the word 'first' into Google in Polish, the predictive text came up with 'first love'. In English it was 'First Direct' - a bank!

Sorry I can't be any more helpful than that. :oops:
First Love, eh? ;) Is the atmosphere in Poland significantly more romantic than it is in England? ;)

LAstry

Post by LAstry » 13 Feb 2022 20:51

there was a Polish Kingdom 1917-1918
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_o ... 80%931918)
The Canidate for King {A member of the Hapsburg family{!}
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduke_ ... of_Austria

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 13 Feb 2022 23:42

there was a Polish Kingdom 1917-1918
There was indeed a German puppet state of that name: without a king and with exactly zero future when the entente/allies won, as they did.

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”