LBJ dies exactly eight years earlier, on January 22, 1965. Hubert Humphrey becomes the new US President

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Futurist

LBJ dies exactly eight years earlier, on January 22, 1965. Hubert Humphrey becomes the new US President

Post by Futurist » 02 May 2021 01:20

What if LBJ (Lyndon Baines Johnson) dies exactly eight years earlier, on January 22, 1965? In such a scenario newly-inaugurated US Vice President Hubert Humphrey becomes the new US President. So, just how exactly does the US actually look under a President Humphrey starting from 1965?

One important policy distinction that I could see is that Humphrey will likely abandon South Vietnam in or around 1965 since that's what he advocated in a private memo to LBJ during this time in real life:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ats-115259

Humphrey might aim for a fig leaf of neutralization, as in Laos, but ultimately this would simply be a way for the US to both save face and buy some additional time.

I assume that on the domestic front we still see programs such as the Great Society? And the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and Fair Housing Act of 1968? And I also presume that Humphrey easily gets elected in 1968 as an incumbent US President in this TL and that whomever his VP is gets elected in their own right in 1972, correct?

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Re: LBJ dies exactly eight years earlier, on January 22, 1965. Hubert Humphrey becomes the new US President

Post by Terry Duncan » 02 May 2021 09:32

Locked for failure to comply with the section guidelines.

Return to “What if”